speakEnglish

ZulfadlyAshBurn

Recently I have been doing coding for sites and apps. This is the first time I am using fully jquery & css3 for layout to create an app. The app is basically to help Singaporeans who is making a change from singlish, singapore english, to proper english. It also should help tourists/foreigners when communicating with singaporeans. The vocabulary is not fully done. Currently, there are only 3 words in the db. I will update more later on. I took me the whole day to code the page :) Please, kindly give me you critiques.

http://english.andss.tk/

Heres my crits:

when the page first loads, it all seems a bit jumpy.

The logo is hard to see againt the black

no vaild doctype or encoding has been specified

your notice div is included outside the body tags

<hr> is not valid XHTML

align="center" is not valid XHTML

the message for no words fades out too quickly, so you cannot click add word to dictionary

That's because a DOCTYPE tells the browser to follow standards. If it doesn't display correctly when you add one, your code is not compliant with standards. Leaving it till the end has made it more tedious to correct but it shouldn't be too difficult.

As for disabling the right-click context menu, that's just an irritation for the user. I regularly use it for browsing, opening links in new tabs, searching highlighted text, etc. It would put me off returning to your site.

I also agree with the usability comments doddsey_65 made about the search. If feels like you're trying to add in too much JavaScript in unnatural ways to be honest. There's a fine line between complimentary and over the top.

Not many people will disable javascript. And alot of the major websites use no fallbacks at all for the lack of javascript. Look at facebook, twitter and youtube. Most of their functions are done with javascript, but they don't work at all if javascript is disabled. Saying that though, the search feature is the core component of your website, so there should be a fallback. If someone does visit with no javascript then theres no point in staying on your site. I only provide no fallbacks on extended functions that dont really impact the functionality of the site.

Not many people will disable javascript. And alot of the major websites use no fallbacks at all for the lack of javascript. Look at facebook, twitter and youtube. Most of their functions are done with javascript, but they don't work at all if javascript is disabled. Saying that though, the search feature is the core component of your website, so there should be a fallback. If someone does visit with no javascript then theres no point in staying on your site. I only provide no fallbacks on extended functions that dont really impact the functionality of the site.

As mentioned, Facebook has the light-weight "mobile" version that allows you to use the site with JS disabled. I imagine Twitter and YouTube will have something similar, but will need to verify that later.

Edit

Was actually this topic I mentioned about Facebook's mobile site.

While there aren't that many users that have JS disabled, given how easy it is to cater both ways I don't see any excuse not to. At work everything we write has to work in both situations, and for all of the major browsers including IE6. Those few users that you turn away could turn into some of your most active users, and bring more users to the site. You never know..

@ZulfadlyAshBurn

Write your site without AJAX to start with. Have every link function like normal. Assuming you're using a framework like jQuery, you can easily detect an AJAX request with the HTTP_X_REQUESTED_WITH header. If this is present, simply don't include the header and footer in the output. You can then use selectors to target forms, links, etc. and change the submission, click, etc. event to go through your AJAX handler. If the user has JS disabled, they'll just navigate around as usual.

The basic functionality of Facebook, Twitter and YouTube is still there without JS enabled. I just visited all three myself to make sure of it. Facebook and Twitter still work, but pop up a warning and a link to the mobile site if JS is disabled, and YouTube has somewhat less functionality. To say they don't work at all with JS disabled is incorrect.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.