sifr

Ninjakreborn

I have used image replacement for fonts in a couple of client sites.  Image replacement techniques work when properly coded. As long as the font exists and the replaced words fit within the confines of the screen space allocated, they work  Some use better semantic mark-up than others. Some methods are more accessible than others.

I'm not sure what you mean by 'trustworthy' in this context, but is that trustworthy enough for you?

[quote]oh great. in a week or 2 are going to list this on your resume as something you're expert in too?[/quote]
I also don't need you popping in my post's and making rude comments.  I never popped into your post's and berated things you said, and questioned your intelligence.  You had no reason to come on here and do that.  I don't claim perfection in anything.
I know the languages I have listed, and I have known them for that period of time, I redid my whole list a few day's ago to make sure it was accurate.  THose languages I listed as studied I did just that, and I am at that point.  I don't pop up and claim to know any of these, so that was unneccessary.

[quote]http://wiki.novemberborn.net/sifr

Do any of you have experience working with this, what do you think about it, is it trustworthy?
Or are there still limitations on the font's[/quote]

Thank you, what I gathered from this url/program it told me that (when I was studying), that with css, this was a technique that could be used where if you picked a font family that was not supported in a browser, then this advanced method "sifr" would do something with the css using javascript to make it to where the browser could see the font anyway, this is what I had understood from the book I was reading when I got that link.

[quote author=businessman332211 link=topic=112306.msg456275#msg456275 date=1161609962]
Thank you, what I gathered from this url/program it told me that (when I was studying), that with css, this was a technique that could be used where if you picked a font family that was not supported in a browser, then this advanced method "sifr" would do something with the css using javascript to make it to where the browser could see the font anyway, this is what I had understood from the book I was reading when I got that link.
[/quote]

Well, keep this in mind, too: you shouldn't be using obscure fonts that people don't have for any large text (paragraphs, etc), so you shouldn't [b]ever[/b] have to force a user's hand when it comes to displaying text. If you want a user to see a header in a given font, make an image of it. If it's a header that will be changing from time to time, upload the font to [i]your own[/i] server and use the GDLib to generate your image for your header. I would be extremely hesitant to use technologies like JavaScript and/or Flash to force a user to render the entire font of a page. I wouldn't want to depend on a user's settings to render my page properly.

[quote author=obsidian link=topic=112306.msg456296#msg456296 date=1161611242]
upload the font to [i]your own[/i] server and use the GDLib to generate your image for your header.
[/quote]

In the umpteen times I've tried getting GD to use different fonts, I couldn't get anything to work, is this relatively easy to do?

[quote author=neylitalo link=topic=112306.msg456365#msg456365 date=1161618198]
In the umpteen times I've tried getting GD to use different fonts, I couldn't get anything to work, is this relatively easy to do?
[/quote]

Really? Well, I've only done it a few times, but I've never had a problem with it. They do have to be TTFs, though. Is that what you've used?

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.