What have I done wrong?

TomFromKWD

I am trying to get the SELECT query to take a date from a field in the database called displaydate and ensure it only shows entries that have a displaydate of the date today or earlier

<?PHP
mysql_query ("SELECT *,DATE_FORMAT(displaydate,'%Y-%m-%d' as thedate FROM `2011-09` WHERE DATE_SUB(CURDATE(),INTERVAL 31 DAY)  ORDER by day_id DESC");
?>

the above code is just kicking out an error so I assume I've got lost somewhere but not sure where

can someone please help me correct what I have wrong and explain WHY it is wrong

the error is as follows

Warning: mysql_fetch_array(): supplied argument is not a valid MySQL result resource in "path"/2011-09.php on line 49

and unfortunately the issue persists after the above supplied code

could it be to do with how I am storing the date in question in the database?

and if it helps the full bit is now as follows:

<?php

include 'connection.php';

$getimages=mysql_query ("SELECT *,DATE_FORMAT(displaydate,'%Y %m %d') as thedate FROM `2011-09` WHERE thedate <= CURDATE() ORDER by day_id DESC");

while ($images=mysql_fetch_array($getimages)) {
                           echo " " .$getimages['codeopen']. "" .$getimages['code']. "" .$getimages['codeclose']. ""; }
                         ?> 

it is there though, and without the date alterations im trying to make and just using the following alone works, but obviously is showing EVERYTHING in the table, including that set with a date for the future

$getimages=mysql_query ("SELECT * FROM `2011-09` ORDER by day_id DESC");

my mistake.. that error simply means that you r query is failing.. add a die() after the query to receive a specific error..

mysql_query ("SELECT *,DATE_FORMAT(displaydate,'%Y-%m-%d') as thedate FROM `2011-09` WHERE thedate <= CURDATE() ORDER by day_id DESC") or die(mysql_error());

im not an expert at mysql, don't try to be.. however something is going wrong with your alias of the displaydate field.. so try removing the alias..

mysql_query ("SELECT *,DATE_FORMAT(displaydate,'%Y-%m-%d') FROM `2011-09` WHERE displaydate <= CURDATE() ORDER by day_id DESC") or die(mysql_error());

the where clause is parsed and evaluate prior to the select clause. Because of this the aliasing of thedate to where clause not yet occurred

$getimages=mysql_query ("SELECT *,DATE_FORMAT(displaydate,'%Y %m %d') as thedate FROM `2011-09` WHERE DATE_FORMAT(displaydate,'%Y %m %d')<= CURDATE() ORDER by day_id DESC");

$getimages=mysql_query ("SELECT *,DATE_FORMAT(displaydate,'%Y %m %d') as thedate FROM `2011-09` WHERE DATE_FORMAT(displaydate,'%Y %m %d')<= CURDATE() ORDER by day_id DESC");

Running the date_format twice is extra overhead.  Just access the column.

$getimages=mysql_query ("SELECT *,DATE_FORMAT(displaydate,'%Y %m %d') as thedate FROM `2011-09` WHERE displaydate <= CURDATE() ORDER by day_id DESC") or trigger_error(mysql_error());

mysql_query ("SELECT *,DATE_FORMAT(displaydate,'%Y-%m-%d') FROM `2011-09` WHERE displaydate <= CURDATE() ORDER by day_id DESC") or die(mysql_error());

the above worked i just forgot to put my &getimages= on the front like a fool

Thanks for all the support guys

Youve been immense as always

the above worked i just forgot to put my &getimages= on the front like a fool

Thanks for all the support guys

Youve been immense as always

I was surprised when you said the code i provided didn't work at first.. simple error glad it worked for you

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.