www.newsique.com

neoform

hmmm i actually like it. very concise, etc. my only gripe is that the huge amount of content makes things appear a little too busy. i think an image or two and/or maybe even a touch of extra colour just to break things up a bit may do the trick. i think you could use a logo, too. whilst what you have is not bad, generally it seems only 'parking' sites use text as their logo. i also have a problem with including the ".com" in the logo, but that's another story and a personal preference, rather than a major issue.

there are also encoding issues which prevent the site validating.

otherwise, good job me thinks
cheers
Mark

what's the encoding issues?

i usually wait till the site is complete before tackling the HTML/CSS validation thing.. just because it's such a pain in the ass.

As for the logo, i probably will make one.

Adding photos to the site is a nice idea, but it's more of a future thing since it's a news site i'd need news related photos, and that would mean i'd need an Associated Press membership or something, which costs some nice coin..

[quote author=neoform link=topic=112435.msg456347#msg456347 date=1161616367]
what's the encoding issues?
[/quote]
take a look: http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.newsique.com%2F that'll probably give you a bit of a clue of what's going on.

not sure on the photos thing. even the BBC seem to get plenty of their photos from Getty, so youre right - would prob cost a hefty sum unless you use relevent free stock photos. however, photos aside, maybe a touch of colour would still have the desired effect of livening it up slightly. it's not bad - just think that it could be improved slightly that way.

yeah, i agree on the color thing, which is why i added the orange text here and there..  i just want to make sure it doesn't become what ww.cnn.com and so many other news sites looks like, i want it content oriented, not attention grabbing crap everywhere.. :P

It's un ****ing readable. Too much text, too little distinction. Mark already pointed that out, be it more mildy... I have to agree an most he points out, but most imortantly:

I think it scores a 3 out of 10 for readability. Wich is the most important [u]use[/u] for a news site.
A clearer separation between columns would do wonders! Also photo's would relax the stressed feel quite a bit, I have to agree. If you can not, at least use some sort of images, in some context, to break the text.

Some other tips:

- Put more focus on the summaries. Maybe you should even drop displaying the actual article text (or print less) when listing articles.
- Avoid single line paragraphs. Reduce column width if nessecary.
- Navigation is a clutter!

I definately like the general idea though, I believe it's got potential!

maybe if photos arent too possible right now: what about your 'vote' panels? those could easily be jazzed up. a touch of colour in your site elements would give them seperation from the actual content - still leaving a busy site and maintaining the point, but just making things easier to follow around. your logo/nav/top panel in general/vote panels, etc, all fall into this category. it's pretty amazing how much those green arrows do to liven things up (i didnt notice them when i first looked, so not sure if they've recently been added).

looking forward to seeing it develop further!
cheers
Mark

Look at the nytimes website. It's a lot more readable than your site.

Reasons why:

1) No artcicle content on frontpage, just a title and a short summary. This allows them to fit all headline stories on the part that is visible with none or minimal scrolling.

2) Newspaper style layout. Narrow (not too narrow) width columns read easy.

I agree with mark on the color issues. I would caution not to use too many different colors though. I'd suggest using different variants of the same colors, rather than conflicting or even just contrasting colors. I think with using 5 distinctly different colors you probably already exceeded any reasonable number. For example, I only count 2 on the ny times frontpage (I never count grey or b&w).

Lastly, what I meant when saying the navigation looks cluttered: it's because of your "top tags". The're not purely navigational items, consider listning them in a box on the right side column.

Just my €0.02.

cool, I'll see what i can do with the nav later today.

I think what i'll do for the layout is have two choices for users, the current layout and one where only headers and descriptions are shown, this'll give people more options, since a good number of people i showed it to liked the current layout..

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.