Sony just keeps digging

obsidian

As if the price, copying of Nintendo's motion-sensing technology and other various faux pas weren't enough for Sony to bury themselves, new reports inform us that Sony won't be including component cables or HDMI cables with the PS3. Yes, ladies and gentlemen, that's right: Sony's PS3, guaranteeing 1080p games, singing the praises of Blu-Ray games and movies to be played in high definition, won't come with cables to allow high-def anything. To do that, you'll get to pony up some more change to purchase them. Brilliant!

[url=http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3154548]News Report[/url]

[quote author=redbullmarky link=topic=112455.msg456866#msg456866 date=1161707476]
can still get £50 (about $93) for a PS2 on ebay. not great, but if youre upgrading, every penny counts.
[/quote]

On the other hand, I just bought a PS2 from Kohls with 2 controllers, a memory card and 4 games for $110. I traded in my GameCube a little while back, just before the big price drop, and I was able to pick up my PS2 and the 3 games I wanted for about $30-40 out of pocket. I'd much rather have a PS2 and a Wii than forfeit the Nintendo games I'd miss otherwise just to get a system that's going to keep forcing me to fork out more and more cash. The only problem is that FFXIII is going to be PS3 :(

[quote author=Crayon Violent link=topic=112455.msg456871#msg456871 date=1161708741]
maybe if sony continues this trend of foolishness square enix will take away their FF priveleges
[/quote]

That would rock! Give it back to Nintendo, baby! The FF series on SNES were all awesome!

[quote author=Nightslyr link=topic=112455.msg456893#msg456893 date=1161711847]
Indeed.  FFVI > all.
[/quote]

Yes, FFVI is definitely worthy of greatness. I'm currently playing through it [b]again[/b]. I'm not sure how many times I've done it now. I'm getting ready for the boss fight with Ultros in the opera house... tough fight, that one.

Yeah, that lovable octopus can be a bastard when he wants to be. ;)  It's been a while, but that part is before getting Terra back, right?

I think it's kind of strange that Square-Enix never had the villain of their other Final Fantasies win.  I mean, Kefka actually accomplished his goal, and the world was covered in darkness for over a year because of it.

Oh well...I'm just glad I can enjoy the memories by looking through my Amano artbook.  Some great designs, there.

Well I will agree that they [i]probably[/i] bought it for investigative purposes.  I mean come on, you would think that the CEOs of Sony would be able to get one for free from themselves if they wanted on for the entertainment.  On the other hand...one would think that in an 'investigation,' they would have had some peon order it, not themselves personally..

But still...that's just messed up.  And lame. "we're concerned about voltage incompatability" wtf is that? That's shady, is what that is.  I understand that Sony has this big marketing plan as far as releasing things at specific times in specific places blah blah blah but to shut down a business simply because of something like this...shady. 

And quite frankly, I don't even agree with the ruling at all.  Judge was obviously in Sony's pocket.  Once you buy something, it's yours.  You can re-sell it to whoever you want.  I think the only stipulation on that is that you can't sell it for more than the current retail price from the manufacturer or something.  That's how it is in the states, anyways.  I guess they might do it different overseas.  But that's still lame.  It shouldn't be that way. 

Instead of going around bullying people, maybe Sony should come up with a more effective marketing plan that takes into consideration the fact that people buy and sell things online worldwide.  To me, this is a case of Sony not getting with the new world trend.  Not even new. 

IMHO, the next step would be to have an individual who visits Japan and buys a system to be required to turn in his system when he leaves the country. I mean, when I lived in that part of the world, I got games constantly from Japan before they were released in the US and sent them to friends over here. Would Sony be willing to prosecute an individual who went to Japan, bought a PS3 and decided to sell it on eBay when he got home??? What's the difference?

If you're going to complain that it's because of voltage regulations, pull your warranty from those models and keep going on your merry way. If someone wants to pay $600+ for a system that doesn't match up with voltage regulations, let 'em do it. When they fry their system, you'll get another $600+ from them when they replace it. Once again, I really see this as Sony shooting themselves in the foot :P

or maybe market your crap in a fashion where everything is released at the same time, or close enough to where it doesn't matter, or where varied release dates are a non-issue, or SOMETHING. 

And instead of trying to shut someone down over it, how about making a converter and selling THAT.  Or maybe make different region products available on your OWN website and make money off that, instead of someone else doing it for you.  SOMETHING.

Seriously, Sony needs to just go ahead and commit hari kari over this shameful thing they have done.

[quote author=Crayon Violent link=topic=112455.msg458006#msg458006 date=1161876527]
And instead of trying to shut someone down over it, how about making a converter and selling THAT.
[/quote]

That's just it. According to the company, all their systems they sold to Europe were bundled with a [b]SONY[/b] current transformer so they would meet regulations.

yeah that's why it's so shady.  Sony is claiming that they are concerned about compatability.  Since they themselves aren't the ones shipping out the japanese console with the european transformer, they can't be sure that this 3rd party is actually doing it, or whatever.  What happens if a european receives this package and the console fries due to defective converter or something?  Should Sony be held liable? Sure, it's a sony product working with a sony product, but sony did not package these 2 products together, nor condone them being packaged together.  I can understand and agree with Sony's arguments.  But I do not think that these concerns warranted shutting down a business.  Especially when it's obvious that this was the strawman argument they were using, to hide their real intentions of hurting their advertising schedules, which would not hold up in court.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.