Default lots of users?

joe92

Just installed Ubuntu 11.04 along with LAMP and phpMyAdmin.

Logged into phpMyAdmin with the root login details set during set-up of MySQL.

I have 3 databases already there which I did not create. The standard one information_schema (28) and two others I am not used to seeing: mysql (23) and phpMyAdmin (9).

mysql (23) - Looks like some sort of database setup with help data. Can I delete this one?

phpMyAdmin (9) - It's completely empty with a load of 'pma_...' tables. Can I delete this one?

Under priveleges on the phpMyAdmin homepage there came with default 5 usernames; see attached file (I added user johnJoe). In the similar fashion to denying root login on the server should I remove all these usernames and just leave johnJoe to increase security? And adding subsequent usernames when needed.

Cheers,

Joe.

[attachment deleted by admin]

If applications made stuff, then don't delete it.  You should only mess around with stuff you created yourself.  They weren't created for no apparent reason.

The phpmyadmin one was created so you can have the bookmarking and stuff that is built into phpmyadmin.

~juddster

Hi, thanks for the very fast response juddster. I should have read it before continuing ::)

I got a little bit ahead of myself and decided to delete the extra users. A warning to people in the future, DO NOT DELETE THE USER debian-sys-maint. Everything stopped working and I am now having to reinstall mysql, connect it back to the server and reinstall phpMyAdmin. An unnecessary waste of time. After a small amount of research it seems like debian-sys-maint is what lets the mysql database talk to the linux server (not entirely sure). So it may not be there if you have a windows server? Either way, just don't delete it.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.