mysql_real_escape_string() doesn't work

Monsignor

Hello all, I'm trying to clean up some user input for my database but the mysql_real_escape_string function doesn't seem to work, and neither does addslashes(). I've browsed the net and made sure I'm connected to the database before the function is called. I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong. Here's the relevant part of the code:

<?php

mysql_connect("localhost","adminname","adminpassword") or die (mysql_error());
mysql_select_db("databasename") or die (mysql_error());

$comment=mysql_real_escape_string($_POST['commentbox']);

?>

...and then the result is put into the database along with some other data.

The database entry is correct, except, when I check the database or echo the result I get the same thing that was entered into 'commentbox'. For instance, if I enter "I am very 'confused' by this" into the box, the same string will be found in the database table. No slashes, just quotes. Anyone have an idea what's wrong with this? Because it all seems simple and correct but doesn't work.

mysql_real_scape_string escapes special characters that can be harmful to the sql.. it won't do anything to normal characters..

From what I understand, it's supposed to add a backslash in front of each quote so as to prevent injection. My problem is, why doesn't it?

mysql_real_scape_string escapes special characters that can be harmful to the sql.. it won't do anything to normal characters..

From what I understand, it's supposed to add a backslash in front of each quote so as to prevent injection. My problem is, why doesn't it?

It DOES. The slashes tell the MySQL engine to treat those characters after the slash as literal characters and to treat it as part of the text value and not as a delimiter (i.e. quotes marks used to delineate a string). But, it does NOT insert the slash. That would just be stupid. If mysql_real_escape_string() was not working, your query would be failing due to the single quotes.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.