Let the training Begin, World Competition here i come.

phpSensei

Hello Everyone,

I have been super absent from PHPfreaks, but I do come back with great news. I will be competing in Leipzig (Germany) at the Skills World Competition 2012, even though the timing is early and its not for another year, Team Canada is starting to get prepared now. I spoke with the President of Media at my college and they gathered some tutors, experts, and setup classes to get me ready. However I think the best place to train would be here since this is where I originally started my journey and thanks to everyone here I was successful at the Canadian Level. The World's Competition will be hard, I will have to go against the best Post-Secondary (college/university) students from around the World to win the title. I havn't heard much of what the competition will present this year but I know its going to be 2 weeks of stay at Leipzig, Germany. Since I received so much support the first time including everyone from here, I thought I would make a thread to get as much advise, wisdom, and intel as possible to get me ready.

I know that they are asking for a complete CMS system from scratch that implements Templates and such. Also for the competition we will have 0 resources, meaning its completely from scratch, I think we get 5 min internet access on separate computer.

Opening Ceremony for 2009

Wish me all the best, pray for me, this is where my journey begins to the Worlds, so please don't hesitate to give me any advise or knowledge you possible have, anything would help.Also if anyone has been to that city in Germany, give me some info on that too, would very much appreciate it.

edit: sorry for not replying the PMs, I have been very busy with me and my designers new Company with recently started, here's the logo btw, I removed the name because of the rules...

http://a6.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/309290_10150323926415073_566765072_8274644_660494608_n.jpg (let me know what you think)

Download the PHP Manual.. it will come in very handy..

as well as the MySQL manual, if it's downloadable.

In fact, considering you're limited to your internet access.. I'd suggest getting the manual for any language you plan on using...

or at least take some good notes on the APIs

Things like

- Javascript AND jQuery

- CSS tips and tricks

- browser compatibility tips.

If you want to wow them, try to make your site mobile friendly.  CSS media queries and the like.

Also, don't be afraid to see how the big boys do it.  Download existing CMS solutions and take a look at how they handle templates, themes, and plugins.

EDIT: It just dawned on me... I'm a US citizen.  What am I doing giving advice to a Canadian entrant? :P

Download the PHP Manual.. it will come in very handy..

as well as the MySQL manual, if it's downloadable.

In fact, considering you're limited to your internet access.. I'd suggest getting the manual for any language you plan on using...

or at least take some good notes on the APIs

Things like

- Javascript AND jQuery

- CSS tips and tricks

- browser compatibility tips.

Thank You Zane, I can't use books or notes on anything during the competition itself, but as you know I am limited to internet access the whole way there, so having all the manuals will be a big help.

If you want to wow them, try to make your site mobile friendly.  CSS media queries and the like.

Also, don't be afraid to see how the big boys do it.  Download existing CMS solutions and take a look at how they handle templates, themes, and plugins.

EDIT: It just dawned on me... I'm a US citizen.  What am I doing giving advice to a Canadian entrant? :P

-_-  I has American friends !

I think this would really help me take it a step further with the mobile site feature, Its things like these that really do bring the WOW factor to the competition. Thanks, I believe this will something I will add this more towards the end of the competition, I will try and break down my Overall work into different steps, and try to get atleast 1 whole day for extra cool stuff to add.

Thank You Zane, I can't use books or notes on anything during the competition itself, but as you know I am limited to internet access the whole way there, so having all the manuals will be a big help.

That's tough, really tough. I guess reference material is taken for granted these days, I don't think I could work without it.

How much does aesthetics play in the competition?  A jaunt over to Smashing Magazine for inspiration may help as well.

It plays a big role actually, Theres 6 judges, 3 for design and the other 3 for the coding....  :o

That's tough, really tough. I guess reference material is taken for granted these days, I don't think I could work without it.

tell me about it ...  :'(

if you can't do that, can you use netbeans where each function has documentation with the auto complete?

I believe I am allowed to have any software I want installed, all I need to do is call them and have it setup... Thanks Little Guy, I never thought of that. Cheers  O0

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.