REGEX how to ignore a literal string?

kernelgpf

I'm trying to grab all names (in: LNAME, FNAME, POSSIBLE INITIAL) in a bunch of text, I have this set of rules:

/[^OWNER NAME].*([^0-9+][A-Z]{1}[^0-9+][a-z]+[^0-9+]\, [A-Z]{1}[^0-9+][a-z]+[^0-9+])/'

What I'm trying to do is some names have "OWNER NAME" very recently in the last line or two before the name, and I -do not- want those. Only if that string isn't found in in the last line or two do I want it.

Example of a name I would -not- want to collect:

OWNER NAME (IF SAME, WRITE “SAMEâ€)                                                                         ADDRESS (STREET, CITY, STATE, ZIP CODE)             5
                        Wu, Isabella     
[code]

Example of returned strings matching current rules:

Array ( [1] => Okulich, Kathern, [2] => Broadus, Raymond, Avery )

[EDIT: the reasons I account for no numbers is because it was pulling back home addresses. also, the pattern above simply doesn't work.]

Well, I already stated that I did not understand your question as asked. The fact that no one else has responded probably means no one else understood it either. Why don't you try doing what I asked, give some examples of the input you wouold have and the expected output.

Your regex starts like /[^OWNER NAME]

This is not doing what you think it is! It's actually just checking for "a single character that is not in the set of characters O, W, N, E, R, <space>, A and M".

You probably want something like /^(?!OWNER NAME) which makes sure that the line doesn't start with "OWNER NAME". For help on the (?!...) search on "regex lookaround".

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.