Query : Configuring ODBC DSN for MySQL in Win98

simonwar

I am new to Dynamic Web Page Authoring, so no laughs at this question please !

I am using Dreamweaver MX and about to create a Dynamic Page. I activate the \'Create a Connection to a Database\' pop up box and have to create a \'DSN\' or \'String based\' Connection.

I select DSN and continue to configure, however, on selecting the \'TEST Connection\' button, I get an error.....

[Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver][TCP/IP Sockets]General Network Error ....etc.

So I check that the DSN is set up correctly in the WIN32ODBC Settings on my machine. When I go into this through \'Control Panel\' and go to \'System DSN\', I attempt to configure the SQL Server Driver, but again do not understand what I have to do exactly ???

For example : I click on the \'Configure\' button and get through the first screen, names etc, but the next screen does not allow me to click \'Next\', as I get an error as follows .....

Connection failed:

SQL State: \'01000\'

SQL Server Error: 10061

[Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver][TCP/IP Sockets]ConnectionOpen(connect()).

Connection failed:

SQL State: \'08001\'

SQL Server Error: 11

[Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver][TCP/IP Sockets]General network error. Check your network documentation.

It is clear that I am not setting up a link to a database, but how do you Configure a link to a MySQL Database and therefore set up a DSN in the ODBC setup ?

For information .....

I have PWS and MySQL serving in the background....

Thanks. Simon. :?:

Now if u are trying to connect to a remote MSQL then I am sure u have given a wrong IP which is resulting in the failure.

Now if u are trying to access the mysql database in a remote machine

u have to get urself the mysql ODBC driver which is available @ mysql.com.

Once u have installed that then u have to create a connection using the ODBC.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.