favourite email programs for your server?

freelance84

Ok, i've been trying for what feels like an eternity now to get any kind of mta setup on my ubuntu 11.04 srever.

All i need to be able to do is send simple emails out (no batches, but single emails) when someone registers to my site, but i just cant get the php mail function working properly.

I first found a site which said it is easiest to use sendmail. Then one that said exim, then post fix....  (I've just tried following this guide, the author is clearly is pretty flippin good, but i got to a stage which said 'telnet localhost 25', but i just got 'bash: incorrect command' in return. I can only assume i missed a step somewhere along the lines, but i think what this guide is trying to setup up something which may be a little excessive for my needs. For one i do not need squirel mail, nor do i have multiple sites on the server)

Does anyone know of a really really basic and novice guide which I could follow that will enable me to get the php mail function working on ubuntu 11.04... pllleeeeaaaassee    :happy-04:  (if there was a little begging smiley face i would use it here)

PS/

This (i think) is the last hurdle for me in getting this server up and running correctly... any help would be absolutely amazing

It might be easier to install ssmtp, this is a drop in for sendmail which will allow you to use a remote smtp server such as Gmail. Postfix can get quite complicated to configure and it really has to be done right to avoid it being abused.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.