JS/Jquery while loop crashing browser - why?

Drongo_III

Hi Guys

Trying to write a while loop to do validate a form. However when i came to testnig out a simple while loop it keeps crashing the browser and i'm not sure why. When i say 'crashes' the browser just endless appears to be loading and i can't refresh the page. Any ideas what is wrong with the following?

<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd">
<html>
<head>

<script type="text/javascript" src="jquery.js"></script>
<script type="text/javascript" src="jquery_ui.js"></script>

<script>
  $(document).ready(function () {

var i = 0;

while(i <= 5)

{
	 document.write("The number is " + i);
	 document.write("<br />");
	i++;

}

});

</script>

</head>
<body>

</body>
</html>

Any help is greatly apprecaited!

Drongo

1. you are not specify what type of language is to be parsed.. you will need to specify..

<script type='text/javascript'>

2. this function is not a listener.. and ouputs to the browser, so it should be placed in the body of your page instead of the head

Hi AyKay

I've modified the code as follows but still no joy :/

Any ideas?

<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd">
<html>
<head>

</head>
<body>

<script type="text/javascript" >

var i = 0;

while(i <= 5)

{
	 document.write("The number is " + i);
	 document.write("<br />");
	i++;

}

});

</script>

</body>
</html>

1. you are not specify what type of language is to be parsed.. you will need to specify..

<script type='text/javascript'>

2. this function is not a listener.. and ouputs to the browser, so it should be placed in the body of your page instead of the head

The never-ending loading is Firefox-specific. The main problem here is that you're writing to the document after it's finished loading (using jQuery's document ready event),  which is effectively starting a new document stream and you're loosing the previous content.

Firefox continues to load because technically this document hasn't been closed, other browsers just close it automatically. If you added document.close() after your loop you will see it stops. As I said though, you're going to always overwrite your previous content here, you need to either write in-line (within the body without the ready event) or just append the contents to an element (recommended).

Genius!

That worked and i think i now understand the issue a bit better.

I changed my code to remove document write which means i don't need document.close  - which in the true spirit of learning has spurred anotehr question.

Can you tell me why this code only outputs the final version of the loop. What i mean is instead of repeatedly writing: "loop number 1", "loop number 2" it just prints "Loop number 5".

Should i use append in a loop to see the recursive state?

Thank you so much for your help thus far!

<html>
<head>

</head>
<body>

<script type="text/javascript" >

var i = 0;

while(i <= 5)

{
	 $("#text1").html("Loop number" + " " + i );
	i++;

}

});

</script>

<div id="text1" style="width: 400px; height: 300px; border: 1px solid #000;"> </div>

</body>
</html>

The never-ending loading is Firefox-specific. The main problem here is that you're writing to the document after it's finished loading (using jQuery's document ready event),  which is effectively starting a new document stream and you're loosing the previous content.

Firefox continues to load because technically this document hasn't been closed, other browsers just close it automatically. If you added document.close() after your loop you will see it stops. As I said though, you're going to always overwrite your previous content here, you need to either write in-line (within the body without the ready event) or just append the contents to an element (recommended).

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.