[ARCHIVE] Get to know your fellow coder

ober

• Replies 382
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i'm 5'8" (i know, short) and 170 lbs, and something like 12% body fat.  there is no way you can possibly be at a healthy bodyfat % at 140lbs and 6'2".  and where the BMI tables are concerned (as ober linked you), it's far more difficult to argue the underweight region as healthy than the overweight region.

Hi All,

I hope Im not too late. Just found this thread. I usually stick to the website critique board - cause I dont want to get hooked on another -) Anyhoo - here is my spiel:

Im Stephen, 24 from Ireland with a girlfriend of 11 months. I grew up very keen with woodwork and technology. I was good with my hands and excelled at woodwork in school. While doing woodwork in school I became very interested in metalwork and engineering building off-road karts etc. As a result of my ability and interest in woodwork - I decided to study woodwork teaching in college. Once in college - I became hooked on computers and websites. I put together a kartbuilding website -> http://www.kartbuilding.net bringing together my web and metalwork. My interest in woodwork fell by the wayside. It was too much like work sanding and having to painstakingly varnish and finish the pieces of furniture I made. Building karts etc. where a simple weld could do so much appealled to me more. I could actually drive and race karts - where as with a bit of furniture - well it went into the corner of my parents and sisters house. Anyhoo - I completed the woodwork teaching degree - it was an excellent course providing me in a firm base of everything from woodwork to building to metalwork to technology to electronics.
Im not too keen on going teaching - at 2nd level anyways. Teaching is increasingly becoming more like crowd control and dealing with uncooperative students. As a result I stayed on in college and started a PhD - which I am at for 3 years. Its on sustainability management, dealing with social, environmental and economical aspects in small engineering companies. In order to bring my computer interests to the front - I plan (sort of started) to do a management portal for sustainability where companies can come together and network sharing ideas and solutions. My interest and motiviation after the 3 years is at an all time low. My nearest distraction was getting involved in the university computer society - www.skynet.ie and which I have worked up from member to contributor to admin, looking after linux boxes over the past 14 months. I since have setup and maintain my own xen cluster on a rented server, providing well... any service I care to setup -) It still hasn't got the mangement portal as part of the PhD moving tho! I would like to go on and do a bit of web development on the side. I have done a few websites - but no major ones where I got large sums for. But all that will have to wait until I get this PhD out of the way - which is best described as a black cloud over my head.
And as for what to go working at when I finish! Well I hope god knows - cause I dont have a clue!! At this stage (or when I finish the PhD would like to work in Industry and have a VARIED job - doing different things. I wonder could I swing, environmental manager, IT admin, Webadmin and CAD designer into one job. Would be nice ,-) Here is wishing to that. I probably will start with looking for a CAD designer job when I finish the PhD. Its the area I most skilled in and have a good interest in. I currently do a bit of lecturing of Solidworks and AutoCAD here in the university (http://www.staff.ul.ie/sburke/solidworks )- but its only breadcrumbs really, and full-time-jobs are nearly a thing of the past. Also maybe down the road when I get a proper job and income, and if I get time - I could get back into building and designing off-road and racing karts. Perhaps build enough karts to setup a karting track - who knows.

So thats my outline. Im really a jack of all trades - but dont know what to go at. I was also suprised to see a good varied age group here, from Andy to mark to ober etc. and also how a good few of ye, especially around ~26yrs are married with kids. Je. It'll be a good few years by me if I can help it -)

Anyhoo - chat ye later.
-steve

Ah, why not?

I've been trying to be a little more active here.

You can thank Crayon Violent for me being here and annoying you all.

I'm the youngest one in this topic so far (that I could find) at the age of 17.

I got into web design a 4-5 years ago, with the all famous Geocities and tripod accounts, with the 'great' website builders. I don't know if I would really consider that my start... However, 3 years ago I started learning HTML and built a few smaller websites with friends. Then, I met CV and started to work on the game, learning more than just HTML, he kicked started me learning PHP. Around the same time, I started working for a website (Savefile.com) and have been helping out on the forums there for over 1.5 years now.

I started my own project (which I don't have hosting for right now) called Bookmark Mania, where users could store their bookmarks online, and visit them anywhere. That is where most of my PHP knowledge came from.

Small facts about me:
-Live just outside of Austin, TX in a small community.
-Drum Major of our band
-Lead trumpet
-Head Crew for theatre
-Photographer
-Socom 3 Addict (ps2)
-Planning on going to UT-Austin to get a doctoral in Electrical & Computer Engineering.

My turn.

Ok well My name is Michael am 6ft3 and am 18 live in England, in a small town called Jarrow, Which is situated on the North East Coast Near the city of Newcastle Upon Tyne. Ive only just started learning PHP and hope to get alot better as i continue to learn, learning PHP is just a hobby, As am a full time University Student, Doing my Degree in Photography studying in the Uni of Newcastle.

I have made websites in the past but not every good ones as i don't know PHP yet so i only made them in HTML and CSS which i have only not long learnt which is another reason why i want to learn PHP.

I didn't want to pollute the main board with this, but I got a job!  Well, right now, it's a paid internship, but in a couple weeks I'll be working full time.  It's at a local startup computing solution company.  It's basically the owner, his wife, and myself running the show.  It should be interesting.

Well, just wanted to share. :)

[quote author=Nightslyr link=topic=112560.msg476274#msg476274 date=1164899221]
I didn't want to pollute the main board with this, but I got a job!  Well, right now, it's a paid internship, but in a couple weeks I'll be working full time.  It's at a local startup computing solution company.  It's basically the owner, his wife, and myself running the show.  It should be interesting.

Well, just wanted to share. :)
[/quote]

Very cool, Nightslyr! Congrats on the job! IMHO, this is the perfect place for you to share that. You'll have to keep us up to date on what sorts of projects and stuff you're doing. It's always interesting the variety of things you'll be asked to do in a small business like that ;)

Okay, I guess it is my turn...

I'm 23 years old, married since May 15, 2006.  A former U.S. Marine, a former volunteer firefighter, National Registry Emergency Medical Technician, a former Texas certified Phlebotomist and a coder at heart.  I haven't been on here in quite some time because I have been spending my spare time on World of Warcraft and writing UI mods for it.  Well, I don't really know what else to put, so I'll leave it at that for now.

• 2 weeks later...
I found this topic a bit late.

I'm Juan aka JayBachatero.  I'm 18 years old, 5'10" and weight around 210 (I'm a big guy).  Live in Queens, New York. I started messing around with computers when my cousin first started to build his network at home for his class that he was taking.  From there I went on to fixing computers and so on.  While in high school I took the A+ Course but never took the test.  I making simple changes to PHP scripts about 3 years ago but I actually got into learning it and writing scripts over a year ago.  Right now I'm one of the Lead Mod Developer over at SMF.  That's where most of my coding goes into.  I'm planning to major in Computer Science and continue with programming.  I think that's about it for me :P.

Oh and my fav smiley is :P.

Ok, why not. I'm 34 years old, I have 6 kids. I live in Olympia, WA. I was a network engineer then IT director. Around 2001 I threw away my MCSE tie tacks and switched most of my servers to Linux and all of my home computers. I dabbled in PHP/web development until late 2004 when I began writing Intranet applications in my "spare" time. I enjoy solving puzzles so it really grew on me. So when the company I was working for went tits up last year, I took a Intranet developer job at a school district. So for the last year I've been doing PHP/SQL full time.

I like motorcycles, fast cars, sports and the outdoors.

LOL. My wife bought me a "Brain" stuffed animal thing (rather than call it a doll) that sits on the dashboard of my car. And one night I got pulled over by state troopers about 3 AM. They were pretty cool and left me off with a warning. As the one trooper left he said, "Are you pondering what I'm pondering?"

Being the consumate smartass, I retorted, "Narf! I think so Brain. But where are we going to find a rubber hose and a policeman at this hour?"

• 2 weeks later...
[quote author=KingPhilip link=topic=112560.msg471099#msg471099 date=1164064264]
I'm the youngest one in this topic so far (that I could find) at the age of 17.
[/quote]

I get to beat you on that!

I'm only 13, but very interesting in programming. I've been a small entrepreneur for some years now, and spend most of my free time in front of the computer. I've worked with HTML, CSS, Flash, and am trying to learn PHP, but that isn't going so well.

I'm very opinionated but dont like to share those, because enough people hate me, but one thing I will publicly support is my hatred of Firefox. I love IE7, and I guess I'm just wierd. Oh well.

I live in Houston, TX, and run everything out of my home computer. I recently bought my first server, a cheap one, that runs through my home internet connection. I'm using it to build a search engine project on, which is why I am trying to learn PHP.

I dont really know what else to say.

Hi all, thought I would throw my lot in with all you experienced guys, I have been working with PHP and MYSql for about a year now and nearly finsishes my first live project, I got a lot of help from here and hopefully have returned some not too confusing posts to help others,

I am 41 year old, married with two small boys(thats married and my wife has had two small boys as opposed to me being married to two small boys) I am a military helicopter flight simulator instructor, which gives me time to work on projects whilst being paid by someone else, I like all sports that either use gravity or an engine to propel me, not too big into self powered sports, recovering from wrapping my enduro bike around a tree at the moment, broken bones for me and the bike is missing the letter P from a dunlop sponsor sticker, how does that work??

I will continue to ask for help and provide help if I can here, this is the best find I have made since starting with PHP, many many thanks to you guys for setting it up and running it, I would be stuck on variables if it wasnt for you lot... is that a compliment or have you set free a lunatic with a PHP skill, small as it is?? you can decide..Paul