[ARCHIVE] Get to know your fellow coder

ober

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 382
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Im 16, Have no kids (Thank God!).

I currently live in Winnipeg, MB, Canada. I am training for my single engine licence (For Airplanes) And i want to buy myself a Mooney Bravo, when I get egnouph money. Later on I want to train to get my ATP or ATC licence and if I get my ATC then I want to work at Winnipeg Intl Airport and if I get my ATP, I would like to fly for Air Canada flying thier CRJ-700's. I have been coding HTML now for about 6 years. And I have been coding PHP for about 6 months!

• 2 weeks later...
Well, I'm 17 and I live in Fresno, Ca. I am a senior and I hope to be going to Biola next year. Yes, I'm christian. I love anything that has to do with computers. I hope to major in video production and design at Biola and do something in the film industry. I love doing web design and programming, I'm only novice but I am always on my computer trying to learn something new.
I think this is a really awesome idea to tell each other about ourselves. I'm also glad to see that there are more people my age and even younger who are wayyyyyy more experienced in this field than I am. Keep going guy its awesome to see.

I 98 and dead.  Wondering when someone's gonna turn on the lights!  Can we code that?

Of course I'm joking.  I am really a wealthy independant....   Joking again. 

I have 9 ...   Nope, that's not quite true either.....

Umm....   This is hard! 

[quote author=bilis_money link=topic=112560.msg645014#msg645014 date=1184465730]
ok here goes nothin'

I'm from Philippines 29 years old finished computer technician and computer science.
I love joking and laughing, my mother call me evil advocate lol  :D

I'm Gemini. I'm still single, i dunno but i don't think i'm going to marry.

and my hobby playing rope sometimes i tie it on my neck lol  ;D
I also love playing my brain... I love logic. and i also like clever people.
I love brand new concepts specially out of the box idea.

I dunno but i love this phpfreaks family its like a crazy family,
but i love crazy family. ha ha ha  :D

I'm a member for fighting for blindness organization.

I'm trying to smile and be happy, but deep inside i'm lonely and sad. i dunno.  :'(

[/quote]
pre mag asawa kana lol

emptynessssss gives lonelyness  ;D

• 2 weeks later...
I am 27. Not married but soon will. Born and live in Tanzania, East Africa.

I speak swahili, English is second language here, you´ll have to excuse any grammatical errors.

work in bank, computers is kinda of a hobby, the only time i look at codes is weekends but sometimes after office hours. after html, css, php and mysql, am currently learning java

I'm 19, not married (I'd be in trouble if I was ;) ) and both born and live in Cincinnati, Ohio.

I started doing website stuff at 13, from geocities and using 1st Page 2000 editor to making a forum and CMS script with PHP/MySQL. I am currently out of work, I was working at a high level job called Kroger Deli :P, I'm currently going for my GED to get into college.

I play video games (have a XBOX 360) and love watching sports (ohio state buckeyes football/basketball, bengals nfl, reds mlb, UC football/basketball - favorite teams), TV, technology and am a very avid news follower/current events.

About it. :)

• 3 weeks later...
Well, to start of, i'm 15, 5 and live in South Africa(the land of the insane and mentally retarded government).
I was born in Centurion, and moved arround quite allot because of divorced mother and father.
I was living with my mom until last year decmeber, when some family drama took place and I came and lived with my father and step mom, along with their four dogs, one bird who constantly tries to be a dog and a few mouses who comes to visit now and then.
I speak Afrikaans fluently, as well as English, I also hate out government, changing names, stealing money, letting rapists, murderess and all types of criminals out when the president's birthday comes.
I should also mention that the president has to be drained of alcohol three days before he has to do a public speech, they also think that Zuma, a well know government rapist should become president, well done south africa.

I was in public school for most of my live, until grade 8 when I went over to home schooling, that was properly one of the worst mistakes I ever made in my life.
I was never really a person to stay at home and be bored with simple things such as school(especially school).
I'm not the sharpest/smartest kid you'll ever meet, I have really lost my intelligence with being home schooled, not constant presure the whole time made my less commuted to work, and such.
I'm going to public school next year, and into grade 10, and then after school I would really like to go and study OS's(especially unix/linux).

I were exposed to PHP the first time when I had to manage an website I had just purchased off of some person, this should have been the worst mistake ever, but I can't really say that, because that is when I learned PHP and MySQL.
I have been playing around with programming languages such as VB6, C#, C++, Perl and a bit of Python ever since(and ofcource mentioning that I still can't remember how to do a hello world), and DBMS's such as Oracle, MSSQL and pgSQL.
I have been working with php for about eleven months now.

I have been making visits to the dark side for a time now, mainly I try to help people out by helping with informing them with new vulnerabilities that are found and so on, I really don't want to be criticized by this, as I know many people hate people alike me.
I mainly don't exploit when I find them, I would rather contact the owner of the website and state the technical details of the exploit.

I am very short tempered, so that means I get frustrated and bored quite quickly.
I hate it when people try and judge people from their age, I agree that people my age are very, very annoying, but this just makes me proof that I'm more mature for my age group.

And that is about it from me. (:

[quote]@obsidian - there's a strong link between people who have an interest in music (performance rather than listening) and maths/logic, which is generally what alot of programming/coding revolves around. also the fact that both are creative and involve serious concentration means they both have similar appeal. i read all that somewhere a while back.[/quote]

That's interesting because I've been musical from a very young age and I enjoy programming (why else would I be here) as well. I guess it's true.

I'm 18 Years old, currently living in the South Yorkshire area, United Kingdom. I say currently because during my life we've moved at least 10 times... I live with my Mum and 2 Brothers and my [url=http://img83.imageshack.us/img83/7440/picture010fi4.jpg]Dog[/url]. ;D She looks kinda ugly in that picture but she's cute, really.

I left School with a B, 6 C's a D an E and a G in my GCSE's, decided to enroll for College that Year. I was doing Animation/3d Modelling the course was suited for those wishing to get into the Games Industry but that backfired, I left 7 Months into the 2nd Year with nothing. I had fallen too far behind and it was a bit much for me.

From then on I was unemployed and not really doing anything with my life.

A Week or two ago I forked out £1500 for a course with this thing called Home Learning College, it's basically what it says on the tin. So in a Year I should have a degree (I think it's a degree). The course is all about Web Design, as it's something that I love (and have done for 5 or so Years now). Hopefully when I'm done with that I will be able to make a career out of it - that's the plan.

I started playing around 5 or so Years ago, making forums (like InvisionFree). Eventually I learnt that I could customize my Forum with CSS, from there on I found HTML etc. then about 3-4 Months ago I took an interest in PHP.

I also play Piano (and have done since I was 4) it's the only other thing I love doing other than coding/designing. I should probably try get me some grades as I could most probably get grade 8 as I've learnt 8+ pieces myself before.

That's basically it, hope you enjoyed reading. Well that is if the big wall of text above didn't crush this.

• 2 weeks later...
my turn.
real name RONALD but i hate when someones calling me ronald i prefer TENG

sad story..read and [b]it might change your impression on me [/b]

at the  age of 12 i started working to support my study my family is poor so they cant afford to pay my school expenses  after going to school I work in a factory  to have school allowance

at the age of 14 i guess i started driving public vehicle to pay my tuition fees I'm so tired during those time I've never experience teen age life.. I still remember when i go to school wearing same shirt 6 days a week and my class mates tease me like "hey ronald your always in uniform" well i cant afford to buy new dress
and so i hate to warn them like"say it again and ill promise you'll going home crawling" i know i can stop them from teasing me and they are such a coward but, behind me i know they laugh and making fun of my single shirt and jeans.. IMAGINE i use i shirt and one jeans in one whole year...
Oh I also have to IRON my brief just to get it dry or else im going to schools without underwear..

hehe thats me a beggar! So now that have finished my studies i promise to do everything to have better life  ;D

i'm 55 just getting over my recent quad bypass. 5 kids are to blame, 3 still at home one son in the army preparing for another stint in Iraq my oldest about to drop Jnr MKII so pleanty to keep me active.

for all you youngsters out there I basically got fed up with some 'grey suit' whose sole ambition was to climb another half inch up teh greasy pole at my expense. I saw it happend and also slide back down just as quickly. I learned that 'career' is merely a term used by managers to squeeze 20% more work out of you without paying anything. so I have 'free lanced' for about 20 years. I can say what I like and people listen. If they don't I charge anyway. If they don't listen too often then there's always another contract around the corner. they need me more than I need them.

don't think about just go and do it. I paid of my house 10 years early and always wish I hadn't waited so long. Its a great feeling to tell the bank manager to swivel on the middle finger, even better to tell your boss. oh and for you new parents out there the best thing about kids is them have their own. You can sit back and watch their pain and say 'you were exactly the same'

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
My name is Curtis Hunter, 14 years old. Obviously no kids. I've been Athiest ever since I started to think for myself. I love HTML, PHP, CSS, GML (Game Maker Language, for gamemaker (www.yoyogames.com/make)) and I'm interested in C++.

I work as hard as I can to make the best possible website. The thought that Mark Zuckerberg, 29 years old, makes over 700 million anually from Facebook makes me feel old and suffer horribly. I almost have a phobia against growing up. I want to live off my website :D

I love logic, and clever people. People who fail to imply basic logic in simple scenarios are the only people who can provoke anger from me. I'm still mad at myself for not putting my potential to the maximum since I was 9 years old -- so many great website ideas are now taken... I wasted those years trying to snatch scripts from hotscripts.com

[quote author=Warptweet link=topic=112560.msg799615#msg799615 date=1201569521]
I'm still mad at myself for not putting my potential to the maximum since I was 9 years old -- so many great website ideas are now taken... I wasted those years trying to snatch scripts from hotscripts.com
[/quote]

my friend, there is much time between now and when you turn 29.  more than 15 years, in fact, when you consider how packed those years will be with real-life lessons and actual learning.

i don't mean to condescend, only to reassure: you're far from your prime.

I'm Chris.  19 years old.  I run a small web design business in las cruces, new mexico called Stooney.  I've yet to figure out how to file taxes for the business.  (They call me every 6 months with a new $5 fee, so I could care less for now).  It's new, and I plan on putting the only other business out of business because they rip people off because the town has nobody else to go to.  They charge thousands of dollars for sites made in ms word, no joke.  Anyways, I started programming with c++ my freshman year of high school and gradually got hooked on web based applications, and now I feel pretty fluent in php and mysql.  I'm still studying and perfecting ajax, perl, and OOP. 

My very first scripting experience was in the 7th grade when I made a class website (which I don't really wanna talk about...).  I was going to school to be an electrician which was a 5 year course to make $25ish/hr in the end.  I decided that wasn't gonna do it and quit.  I'm self taught in everything (aside from that c++ class).

My English is fine, don't just it off that wall of gibberish.  It's late.

Well, my real name is Jermaine but most of my friends refer to me as "J". I'm an IT Manager, yes at 19 ;D
I've always been interested in technology and computing. I first started learning to program at the mere age of 11, I was intrigued at how applications were created.
I enjoy gaming, and hanging out with a few friends. I smoke and drink, unfortuantly but oh well. Been with my girlfriend near on a year now. Hoping that'll it will last, fingers crossed!

Anyway, nice to meet everybody.

• 3 weeks later...
Figured this was as good a place to introduce myself as any.  I'm Tom, I'm 21 years old and an actor living in Washington, DC.  I've been coding since 8th grade, and am teaching myself PHP/MySQL now.  Decided that my book was great but needed support from others and just general experience looking at the code to get a feel for it.  Found the forum and decided to try it out. 
I do simple web design on the side, mostly for other actors and the student run theatre company on campus.  I'm looking to move on to more advanced programming and turn this in to a nice side business. 
So yeah, those are pretty much my two big interests, theatre and computers.  I'm looking forward to joining this community and getting to know you all!

Figured I'd let the community know me considering I'll be here for quite some time, lot of learning to do.

Name's Andy, I'm 15. I've been coding for a few years in a few languages: C, Obj C, PHP, AS, CSS..

I have a lot more to say, and will edit when I have the time, but as for now.

Nice to meet you all.

16/almost 17, I live in Lithuania, Europe and was born in Chicago, USA.

Currently a developer of a big gaming community. (Argonath RPG)

Languages: Basic C, Basic JS ::), HTML, CSS, PHP

Currently interested in career opportunities for my future.

Really looking forward to joining this community, mainly to extend my php knowledge. :)
-xcasio

I always like to give an intro on a forum first wherever possible, so here goes!

My name is Mark.  I am 28 and from England.  I am a Computer Repair Technician.

I studied VB.net, and had early experience with various versions of BASIC and machine code.  Whilst I have known HTML for a long time, I'm kinda throwing myself in at the deep end with PHP!

I like video games, movies, theatre, pool, music.. pretty much all to an extreme!  I collect video games and arcade machines, go to the cinema several times a week, play in a pool team and have my own project recording studio!

Hello, My name is Ryan.

I am 7 and married with 2 children.

My life is boring, and I sit around doing nothing 90% of the time, most people would think watching paint dry would be more fun. It is winter here, so I guess that I have some say, but once summer comes, then activity starts! Not really, basically I hang out at my friends house and he works on his car, or we just sit, or drive around and listen to music.

At night we party (Smoke, Drink, Get High, Eat Food, Play Pool, Play PS3) I don't do any of those except for the last 3. Finally around 3-4 I go home and we do it again the next day.

One day we decided to make a video of us sitting around. It was basically 1 hour 30 minutes of us doing nothing, except sitting, making prank call to random numbers, running across the street and back... and that is about it. (EXCITING!)

I would say that when I first moved to my current home, I was 5, and I know I was mean, but it was so fun, so I have a great short story to tell:
Me and my friends didn't like this one kid on our block, so when he wanted to play with us we didn't want him to so... we said "OK" He was so happy and his eyes got big and sparkled, so he ran home (he had to tell his mom everywhere he was) to tell his mom, and while he did that, we went to someone else's house. When he got back he noticed we were gone, and at someone else's house, so he went back home to ask his mom if he could go over there, and while he was gone, again we went to yet another house, and when he came back he noticed we were gone again, and this continued until he stopped coming back.

One more good story:
Me and my friends decided to sell cool-aide so we "Made" some. Because we wanted to be mean, we decided not to use water from the house. I had 5 ducks, and they had a small swimming pool filled with water, that they would always poop in.... I bet you know where this is going, any ways we used that water to add to our cool-aide mix, and we mixed it up and sold it for 25 cents a cup.

OK, now more about me.
I have worked with the web for 6 years now, and most of that was HTML/CSS.
HTML/CSS - 4 years (before college 10 grade maybe)
PHP/MySQL - 3 years (beginning of college)
Javascript - 3 months
ASP.Net VB - 2.5 months (this semester)
Visual Basic - 7 months (2 semesters ago)
Python - 3 years (beginning of college)
Pascal - 4.5 months (in high school)

I like performance cars more that luxury cars, or "Average" cars
I own a Pontiac Trans Am (Firebird) I haven't had it long enough to do too many mods yet, but I do have some of these:
- Cold air intake (adds about 8hp)
- Pioneer Deck
- Pioneer Premier 12" Sub
- Hifonics 2000 Watt RMS (3000 watt max) amplifier
- This year plan to get computer chip (adds about 23hp)

- I live in Minnesota, so the winter is almost over (yey), and to days high... 40 degrees (Fahrenheit)! For those of you who think that it is below 0 24/7, your 100% WRONG!!! During the summer it is usually 90 - 115 degrees (Fahrenheit) then there is the humidity...
- My birthday is July 22, 1986 (21 yrs.)
- Single
- Live with parents

So... That is about it....

B.T.W. StarCraft is the best game ever invented even if it is 10 years old, I am currently addicted to it. (Can't wait for StarCraft 2 to come out!!!!!!!!!). I don't play any other game... I'M 100% Serious! (free web games don't count)

Well bye (Call me xxoo)

Name's Ben, 14 years of age, and I know (X)HTML, CSS and PHP. I have been coding in PHP for about a month now, only just hopped onto PHP ;). My main interests are computing, programming, Web Development and playing batminton. Reason I picked PHP is that's the first language I was introduced to, I understood it - and went from there.