[ARCHIVE] Get to know your fellow coder

ober

I'm Charlie, 22 years old studying Biology at the University of Southampton in the UK. But my true love is coding... entirely self-taught (started with html aged 14), and now branching from my comfort zone of XHTML, CSS and PHP/MySQL into the world of Javascript and AJAX.... Then what next?

Madly trying to make my hobby pay for itself, I write the occasional website for friends/family, and am about to launch a tutorials/resources website for newbies (cos hey, I learnt for free after all!). And yes, I know there are already far too many of them, but why not?

Oh, and I love to travel, learn languages (other than programming ones) and am not married or have kids (that I know of!).

Next please...

• Replies 382
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote author=Daniel0 link=topic=112560.msg856504#msg856504 date=1207236804]
[quote author=rhodesa link=topic=112560.msg856502#msg856502 date=1207236673]
Post #1000! Who wants to celebrate with me?
[/quote]

Post #3500 :)
[/quote]

Way to steal my glory!  :'(

You couldn't just let me enjoy it for an hour or so?  :P

Hi there all I am Redarrow.

I currently live in central London, I live with my dog lucky and I am a parsley blind 34 year old programmer.

I am a worm loving funny person in general and do as much as the next man in life.

I like going to pub, club, cinema, parks, fishing and have loads of fun.

My main interest is in computers I love it all, from pc to laptops and windows to linux operating systems,

I enjoy using all sorts of software on the market from web design to image manipulation, also loads off high end server software.

I also like computer networks and computer maintenance, designing computer servers and networking them throw a Cisco router.

This is my current experience in computers;

Operating systems  dos,  win 95, win 98, win 2000, win xp all versions, server 2000 , server 2000 pro, win server 2003 and lots more (24 years experience with operating systems). 

Computer maintenance motherboards, vga repairs, soundcards, ram, bios, cd, dvd, computer cases, rebuilds, server rebuilds, laptop rebuilds and loads more (24 years experience 8 bit to 64 bit experience).

Networks infrastructure routers, switches, hubs, wifi hardware, firewall hardware, rj45 wiring cat 5 and cat 6, plus network consulting (full mcse 2008 destination and Cisco distention pass rate) ( 14 years experience).

I have also worked in data centers consulting with some off the best network engineers in London.

I have also implemented adsl in hotels and homes and business via satellite technology before cable was around.

Collage exams.

Html (level 1 and 2 distention pass rate) (12 years experience).
JavaScript.  (distention pass rate) (9 years experience).
Front page. (level 1 and 2 distention pass rate) (9 years experience).
Illustrator.  (level 1 and 2 distention pass rate) (9 years experience).
Dreamweaver. (level 1 and 2 distention pass rate) (9 years experience).
Adobe photo shop. (level 1 and 2 distention pass rate) (9 years experience).
Mcse (Microsoft certified engineer) form 1990 till now up to date)(18 years experience).

Cisco engineering 9 exams pass rate distention (5 years exspirence).

Css self study (5 years experience).

Mysql self study (4 years experience).

Seo self study (20 years experience).

Php self study (4 years experience).

I have been creating web sites for other 20 years in all but have done various exams while designing my web sites.

Hope that helps.

Regards  redarrow.

ps. i have also worked with very old pc and used a solder irion to repair them imgane that years ago.

to repair computers in the old days i remeber caring a screwdriver and a solder irion and an old dos disc and a tape drive now i am old lol.

[quote author=redarrow link=topic=112560.msg859944#msg859944 date=1207656487]
to repair computers in the old days i remeber caring a screwdriver and a solder irion and an old dos disc and a tape drive now i am old lol.
[/quote]

I'm sure everyone will agree with me when I say. That is awesome! And yes that would make you quite old  :D

I have been creating web sites for other 20 years in all but have done various exams while designing my web sites.
[/quote]

Congratulations, you've designed websites that pre-date the inception of the web.

[quote author=SemiApocalyptic link=topic=112560.msg864320#msg864320 date=1208117559]

[/quote]

Congratulations, you've designed websites that pre-date the inception on the web.
[/quote]

And he has been creating web pages for 20 years, but only known HTML for 12. Quite impressive I must say. Or just a bunch of BS perhaps...

26, never been married (but close).  I grew up in Cali, playing sports and surfing.  Started a computer repair company, but got so big that I had to hire a few techs.  Now they do my repair work for me.  Now I'm a full-time coder.

Hi!

I don't really see any introduction thread around here so I'm guessing this is a good thread to introduce myself, as so many of you more or less already did :)

I can already see i'm one of the younger ones around, i'm a dutch 23 year old guy working in Brussels (you know.. Belgium.. ). I have a canadian wife and erm.. well that's about all I can say.

I came here hoping to find an active developers community with a nice "community-feeling" all-round..
I'm on a couple of other developer forums but either they are too big to give a damn or too small to keep you interested.

Hope to have a nice time here :)

wow I've been at this forum for a long time and still
haven't introduced myself!

I'm 17 years old and live in the bay area.
For as long as I could remember I've wanted
to be a pilot and now that I have a job I've
decided to save up so I can get my pilots
license. Pretty much all I do is work, go to
school, hang out with friends, and when I'm
at home I go on here, I guess coding has
become a hobby of mine.

About a year and a half ago I got into trouble
and was forced by my parents to stay home
and not go out into the streets, and so I had
nothing to do but go on myspace all day. I
started wondering how people changed there
pages and added different colors and stuff.
I started looking it up and thats when I got
introduced to CSS and HTML. I started playing
around with it and soon got pretty good at it.
I signed up to a free web host (bravenet.com)
and made a few practice websites to test my
skills. Later on I wanted to do more "advanced"
stuff and thats when i got introduced to PHP.
I have been coding in PHP for about a year now.
Along the way I have also learned javascript/AJAX,
how to organize data with XML, and I want to
start doing flash too but programs such as
Adobe Flash are too expensive and I would
rather save up for my pilots license lol

*Stands in the crowded room, and waits for the hush to fall*
"Ahem,... Hi. My name is Sel, and I am addicted to coding"
-- *chorus of voices...* "Hello Sel..."
haha

I guess I better introduce myself if I plan on being involved in this community.
The following will roughly establish my age...
I Majored in Computer sciences when in school, graduating with extra post ed creds. (about the time when the mac was introduced.)
I then traveled internationally a lot, and for several years didn't touch a computer. Got back into them, but by that time the internet was well established  :o, and everything I knew before was now completely useless for me.  :'( (pascal? is that ever used anymore?)
So, I took it upon myself to teach myself the foreign concept of internet protocol and languages (took me no time for HTML) and started back into primitive programming for website design.
Slowly over the years I have been able to fine-tune my skills, and had introduced myself to various languages, but then dropped the whole coding world for a few years when I got into the graphic world and became a Photoshop junkie. (still have yet to teach myself Flash...) but now I am back into the coding world. The one that I am liking the most and want to hone my skills with is PHP with MySQL. I remember about 6 years ago stating to myself (where ASP was everywhere) that PHP is the language of the future (and maybe I am a bit biased with my whole 'Open Source / Share the Knowledge' mentality)
It sure has changed since I first had a gander at it.
I have some special skills in other fields that I might be able to help with. (Dreamweaver 4 -> CS3 ... Same thing with Photoshop (8 through CS3)
I now currently reside in Mexico, but I am originally from Canada. I love to travel, and working on my third spoken language.

Please to meet you!

-Sel (the newbie)

• 4 weeks later...
Time for me to tell about myself. :p

I'm current 16 years old, almost 17. I have been studying web design/programming since I was around..11, at the end of 6th grade I dabbled a little into hacking, and ended up getting caught stealing credit card #'s, luckily the guy was nice enough not to press charges against me. Of course, my parents wouldn't let me near a computer for a good year. In 8th grade I started learning more in depth, and wanted to increase my knowledge of web based programming even more, and that's how I got were I am today. I have worked on Elitewars and MMORPG, I have created my own video sharing website, specially for gamers(it really is youtube for gamers...), this is NOT a clone script. I'm currently re-designing that layout. My designing skills..are...horrible I must say though. I must look at something in order to get a good design and tweak it to my liking. I know little flash, i'm intermediate-advanced with PHP(arrays being my weakness getting better though!), I know some javascript, and i'm currently learning AJAX, mySQL i'm very experienced in. My dream is to go to UAT(University of Advancing Technology) in Tempe, Arizona, for game programming. Game programming IS my dream job, ever since I was 13. Well, enough of my rambling, you now know, just a little more about me. :p

• 2 weeks later...
Howdy!  This sounds like a good enough place to make an introduction.

26.M.Married (Almost 2 months now!)  I live in a medium sized flat in Michigan.  I've got a meanie of a cuddle bomb Cat.  I've played around with PHP off and on for several years now and am excited to learn more about the language.  I'm big into LOST, portable gaming, and Any and All things Zombie.

[quote author=Cloudy link=topic=112560.msg900789#msg900789 date=1212071168]
Howdy!  This sounds like a good enough place to make an introduction.

26.M.Married (Almost 2 months now!)  I live in a medium sized flat in Michigan.  I've got a meanie of a cuddle bomb Cat.  I've played around with PHP off and on for several years now and am excited to learn more about the language.  I'm big into LOST, portable gaming, and Any and All things Zombie.
[/quote]

My wife is a huge LOST fan.  I watched the first 2 seasons on DVD right before season 3 came out.  I liked the first season a lot, but I thought it lost (haha pun intended) something going into the 2nd...dunno what though, just thought it wasn't as great.  Started watching the 3rd season and gave up after a couple episodes.  I've seen several newer episodes (including the currently aired ones) from time to time, since my wife watches it, but I just think it's gone to crap now.  I have yet to see any new episode that's made me want to go back and watch all the ones I have missed, or keep watching it, other than when it happens to be on and I happen to be in the room. 

Come to think of it, I don't really follow any series anymore.  Things have just been getting to be more and more crap.  I guess that's a sign of me getting old :O  I did enjoy watching Eli Stone though :) .  Well, I'm happy they picked it up for another season, but I wouldn't die if they hadn't. 

edit:

Oh yeah, I guess I have been watching Battlestar Galactica.  I don't think it's completely the uber awesome people make it out to be, but it's interesting enough to keep watching.  I haven't seen any of the current episodes yet. I netflixed the first season about 2 months ago and I'm about halfway through season 3 now.

• 2 weeks later...
Heyya.

Fun thread.

I'm 28 going on 15. I've been working with PHP since late 1999/very early 2000. I'm also a former Correctional Officer for the State of Arizona (ADOC) and worked at the Florence/Eyman Secure-Max Unit 1 (SMU1) for about 2 years. I currently work for Godaddy.com (excellent company to work for!). Sorry, no details as to my position ;)

I suck at web design, rock at PHP - usually. When I'm not busy playing my Wii/PS3 that is.

I have little professional

I've also been a UNIX Admin (professionally) for about 12 years.

I'm a light Dungeons and Dragons (d20) fan and working on an [url=http://wiki.geeklan.com/d20ocmt]Online Charactersheet Management Tool[/url] as one of my more recent personal projects.

I occasionally restart my accounts in one of the following MMOGs for side amusement for a month here and there:

World of Warcraft
Age of Conan
Anarchy Online
EVE Online

I'm big into community and always looking for a fellow developer to partner up with for some random project.

I just realized, I don't know if I've ever "introduced" my self... (~1500 posts... lol)

I'm Corbin (hard to guess from my forum name, right?).

Hrmmm....  16 right now.  Been into PHP for about 2 years (maybe 3?  I can't remember things that long away lol.)  The reason why I got into PHP is like... wow... retarded... but I can't imagine how different my life would be if I weren't on a computer 4+ hours a day.  (Just for the record, I'm quite normal.  When ever I think teen computer-person [although I usually don't think of people at all as relating from the internet to real life goes]... well... lol)
Anyway, I got into PHP because of GET variables pretty much....  I saw a bunch of sites, and I noticed that one URL (I knew HTML long before PHP, so I knew the basic concepts of websites and what not) could be used to output different content based on little parameters.  I started Googling, and next thing I knew, I was trying to figure out uses for PHP lol.

I dabble in other languages, such as C++ and Java, but I'm quite limited in those (and saying "quite limited" is being nice to my self), mainly because I've never been motivated to pick them up.

I don't watch much TV (probably 30 minutes a day on average.... well recently more, but I've been watching TV with someone, not as my own idea), but when ever people ask me what I'm doing, I'm usually on the computer (which is where I watch TV oddly enough...), but I tell them that I'm watching TV because I don't like explaining things or answering questions lol.

I play Lineage 2 a little bit when I have time, and it doesn't piss me off.  I played Runescape for a couple years (I think I started it in 6th grade and quit it in... hrmmm....  8th?)

One of my biggest pet peeves is people who think the Internet is full of creepy people waiting to abduct and rape children.  Or, the people who think the Internet is just plain evil.

Like the guy a couple posts up, I got in trouble for my 'skills' in grade 6.  My school had a crappy website, and they had pages where teachers could edit little sections....  Who ever coded it wasn't exactly intelligent, and they were doing something like:

[code]
<?php
if($_GET['password'] == $_GET['good_password'])
?>
[/code]

With both values in the form....  I changed a teacher's page to say something or other (wasn't bad if I remember correctly, but that obviously doesn't make it better lol).  (At the time, I didn't know PHP, but I knew enough HTML to see the form and go "surely that isn't the password...." lol)

Anyway, I guess I'll stop writing a book.  If anyone actually reads this entire post, I will be surprised lol.

• 2 weeks later...
Hello everybody!!

This seems like the place to introduce myself. Well, my name, for starters, is Tom. Nick:Boulle.
Where do i come from? Belgium. (Antwerp).
I am 33 years old, married and i have two kids. *hey, who brought this dinosaurus in??* ;D ;D
Well, i have some sort of degree in the repair of cars. (learned that in school years ago..never did the job).
Currently i'm working for the city of Antwerp.
When it comes to php, i'm as good as an absolute noob. Really. I've been 'active' on the internet for about 5 years now, and most of the time has been spend on gaming. Currently i'm an active BF2 gamer and clanmember. (But this is beside the topic here).

Anyway, why does someone like me register here, you might think??
Over the last year, i have asked myself the question: 'how does this all work?'. Creating webpages, sites, programming, etc.....
I bought myself the php bible plus a book about html coding also. I hope, in combo with the community here, maybe i'll be able to do some coding myself. Again, let me warn you, i'm an absolute noob!! (So get cracking with the jokes..... :P :P)

Oh, just one other thing, before you die of boredom when reading this; I'm starting in september with school again. After work ofcourse. The aime would be to get a bachelor networking and communications techniques. So wish me luck.....

Hopefully i'll fit in with the pro's here, and have a fun time here!!

C y'all later!!

Well i don't see a Intros section here, but I am Fragman.
I started off trying to become a hacker, and learning my way through sql injections and xss, and frequenting my favorite hacker hangout.  Through all of my learnings, I picked up html and later PHP.  From there I found out that there was no point to defacing a site that somone spent their hard earned time on, so I've dropped hacking, and taken up web based coding.  I really like it, and hope to become much better someday, and maybe take up a tech job after highschool..
my website URL is thegateway.ath.cx

-Fragman

• 3 weeks later...
I'm 16 and live in Southern Oregon. Currently a Junior in high school, but started programming a bit when I was a freshman. First I learned DarkBasic, which is very easy and used to create very simple games and such. Then the other half of my freshman year I took a Visual Basic class which I loved and enjoyed. Sophomore year I took a college class at my school, only 4 kids in it so it was really hands on, and we learned xhtml/css/javascript which I love. I think they are doing away with all the computer classes now and they wont teach what I want to learn so I am teaching myself PHP now. I am planning on going to Oregon State University for a bachelors in Computer Science in a few years, ever since I can remember I wanted to do anything with computers. Not much to say other than I hope to get better at PHP through this community and at one time actually help someone instead of getting helped myself.  :D