[ARCHIVE] Get to know your fellow coder

ober

• Replies 382
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the quality of higher education differs from institution to institution. I'd expect that if I pay a butt load of money to attend e.g. MIT that I would get quality teaching from professors who care and know what they talk about.

agreed, and i would imagine it certainly changes from program to program. once i got into the upper years of my program, i thoroughly enjoyed the instruction quality, since most of my profs were teaching what they love and what they know a great deal about. and as for one-on-one, i don't think i ever approached a prof who was unwilling to answer my questions.

really? my personal and from-hearing experience with 'higher education' is that they just give you a list of all the homework/papers you need to turn in, tell you what books to buy, and then it's up to you to make sense of everything.  Professor rarely around and if he is, he's reading from something or other.  May as well be on TV or radio and they actually do do that a lot... One on one help? Go find a study group of people in the same boat as you, trying to figure it out.  Motto seems to be that you may learn the material, but you won't learn to think for yourself when someone else is holding your hand explaining it to you. 

But...it's possible I've just been to and heard about crappy colleges.

you need to go to lectures, where u sit and listen, professors may not be around in seminars or classes where they task you to it and leave you alone, but in lectures u sit there and absorb .

Thanks for all the welcomes. You guys/girls seem like quite the characters and I'd love to get to know all of you. In my Computer Programming class we did some simple codes with variables (It was simple) and I forget what my teacher said we were doing tomorrow. But I'll try and stay intouch with the forums more often (WoW is too addicting <.<;) and I once again thank all of you for welcoming me. 

really? my personal and from-hearing experience with 'higher education' is that they just give you a list of all the homework/papers you need to turn in, tell you what books to buy, and then it's up to you to make sense of everything.  Professor rarely around and if he is, he's reading from something or other.  May as well be on TV or radio and they actually do do that a lot... One on one help? Go find a study group of people in the same boat as you, trying to figure it out.  Motto seems to be that you may learn the material, but you won't learn to think for yourself when someone else is holding your hand explaining it to you. 

But...it's possible I've just been to and heard about crappy colleges.

you need to go to lectures, where u sit and listen, professors may not be around in seminars or classes where they task you to it and leave you alone, but in lectures u sit there and absorb .

My sister goes to a university with about 20k students, and it depends on the teacher according to her.  Some of her teachers don't care if students come to class, and they just expect people to show up for tests.  Others expect everyone to be there everyday and dock grades based on absences.  I do think that they teach though.  I think they just don't care if people show up.

I wouldn't be surprised if some professors barely teach though.  A lot of times, professors view teaching as a pain and just want to do research.

@obsidian - there's a strong link between people who have an interest in music (performance rather than listening) and maths/logic, which is generally what alot of programming/coding revolves around. also the fact that both are creative and involve serious concentration means they both have similar appeal. i read all that somewhere a while back.

also yeah i'm amazed by the amount of offspring us lot have collectively too. blowing the myth of "bedroom geeks" out the water  ;D

When I first was casually reading this, I'm thinking to myself.. strong link with music, and programming? Then it hit me. He is right.

A day doesn't go by that I am not drumming with my hands (and the beat is rhythmic too!) I guess it's just i'm 'programmed' to be a 'programmer' haha.

Now a little bit about me as a fellow coder.

I started off buying a domain (http://lukeidiot.com) and just putting a basic design (html) with a plain white background and with a little sentence about me, and what I had plan for the next day. I eventually ended up messing around with visual basic, make a few applications for myself and such, then I got to playing around with databases and connecting them to access and all that good stuff.

Then some how I found out about good ole PHP. It was a lot easier to use and manage databases with, and that's problably why I have stuck to PHP.

I'm currently trying to figure out what programming I should pursue for my career, as I really love programming, and think it will be a good career choice for me. That's just a little piece about me, thanks for reading haha ?>

'

Hi,

I've been on this forum for quite a while now and never really bothered messaging in this topic, so I thought to myself why the hell not.

So here are my details. I'm Richard and I live in Rotterdam in the Netherlands.  At the time of this post I'm 28 years old.

A couple of years ago I started with HTML and some ASP classic which I learned at school. ASP classic isn't that popular as it used to be here in the Netherlands it's mostly done in .NET these days. After ASP I started to get more into OOP, PHP and Java and Javascript. Ever since I've been addicted to pretty much everything that evolves programming.

When I am not programming, browsing the web or drinking beer with friends I like playing guitar and piano.  On my guitar I usually play metal or rock and on my piano I play either classic or movie soundtracks.

My fav bands are: Tool, Pantera, a Perfect Circle (yes I know Maynard is better in Tool) and Apocalypica.

Catch you all on the forum guys,

Richard

I'm Andrew. I'm 25. I have just started my first php with mySQL college class, about 5 weeks into it now.

Well, I live in Joshua Tree California. It's very hot here in the summer. The heat is so high here that the area almost always catches on fire during the summer. We always get fire smoke. About 2 years ago these wild fires were so close that we could actually see the flames that were dancing in the shadows off the top of a nearby mountain that is in our backyard. Quite scary.

I joined this forum as a place to talk about php throughout my college course and future programming as well as communicate with others who share similar interests. I am a new web and graphic designer. I have only focused on front end design. So far learning what php can do sounds amazing, I can't wait until I can code my own scripts.

I'm a very big music lover. I will listen to pretty much anything that sounds good. My favorite band is Tool. I also listen to Soilwork, Killswitch Engage, Tupac, Outcast, Nickleback, Avant, Nirvana, Flyleaf, Aaliyah and many others on a daily basis. Life would be horrible without music!

Nice to meet you all.

Andrew

• 2 weeks later...

Hello there...

My name's Christian and I'm 17 years old. I think I started programming when I was like 11 years old(Turbo Pascal). Later I moved on to Delphi. Around the same time, I started creating Homepages with WYSIWYG editors, then I moved on to HTML/CSS/JS. After a while I discovered PHP, which fascinated me. I think I've been doing PHP for about 4 or 5 years now.

I also know some C(++), Python, Assembly and ActionScript

I live in Switzerland.

cya

Christian

• 4 weeks later...

Well well, speaking about PHP and MySQL is not the only thing to do here so here I go.

I'm 21/single from Puerto Rico, I'm a hobbie/week-end coder. I love Databases! They are so easy to learn and work but yeah the process is long, but still like it.

I firstly started coding HTML, then I knew about CSS and Javascript(which I didn't liked), after a couple time I retired from coding, then I heard about PHP and Databases (MySQL) I was fascinated how things work and what I can do with them, so I bought few books, read tutorials, downloaded scripts and so on...and here I am for 1 year now, trying to do my best to know more and help others with what I know ;)

My interests are to learn ASP and Python, which I'd like learn after I get good skills in PHP and MySQL.  :P

• 3 weeks later...

I'm Jack and I'm 16. I rarely leave my room and I think I now suffer from heliophobia. I like to program. I like music, and playing my guitar. My pride is in my website; I possess seldom else to show for my feeble life. I have GCSE's in a couple of weeks and I hope I don't fail. I believe that sums up my futile existence...

@obsidian - there's a strong link between people who have an interest in music (performance rather than listening) and maths/logic, which is generally what alot of programming/coding revolves around. also the fact that both are creative and involve serious concentration means they both have similar appeal. i read all that somewhere a while back.

also yeah i'm amazed by the amount of offspring us lot have collectively too. blowing the myth of "bedroom geeks" out the water  ;D

When I first was casually reading this, I'm thinking to myself.. strong link with music, and programming? Then it hit me. He is right.

A day doesn't go by that I am not drumming with my hands (and the beat is rhythmic too!) I guess it's just i'm 'programmed' to be a 'programmer' haha.

Now a little bit about me as a fellow coder.

I started off buying a domain (http://lukeidiot.com) and just putting a basic design (html) with a plain white background and with a little sentence about me, and what I had plan for the next day. I eventually ended up messing around with visual basic, make a few applications for myself and such, then I got to playing around with databases and connecting them to access and all that good stuff.

Then some how I found out about good ole PHP. It was a lot easier to use and manage databases with, and that's problably why I have stuck to PHP.

I'm currently trying to figure out what programming I should pursue for my career, as I really love programming, and think it will be a good career choice for me. That's just a little piece about me, thanks for reading haha ?>

'

i used to do the accordian and the keyboard and put together tunes on that dj program when i was 7 so your right

I'm Jack and I'm 16. I rarely leave my room and I think I now suffer from heliophobia. I like to program. I like music, and playing my guitar. My pride is in my website; I possess seldom else to show for my feeble life. I have GCSE's in a couple of weeks and I hope I don't fail. I believe that sums up my futile existence...

heliophobia? are you a vampire?  :D

wow... there are a lot of different people on here. guess I'll share, too.

I'm Danny, just turned 15. I spend a fair amount of free time coding. Have no idea why at this point, just obsessed I guess. Other than that, I spend a lot of time at the movies and school...

you guys guess what i left my old job now i work in an isp hooking on to there VOIP TV viewing and internet traffic shaping and usage DB's i use zend studio + CVS zend framework and extjs with a extjs-php wrapper php5 and mysql 5 with navicat.

the stuff looks sooo advanced, it looks like your using windows in a webpage, the panels have grids search sort im using json alot, its all so exciting.

Hey,

I am Max from New York and this is my first forum entry here.. Since I am new to forum community and I feel I am in midst of my own learning curve. Everyday’s there is new discussion, topics coming up, I feel sometimes, that I have to learn a lot, hope you guys have patient on me.

Thanks for reading me and giving me your valuable time

Max

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Ha, get f*****! Nah, to be honest I've never even played it. Play guitar (to the best of my ability) like led zeppelin, stones, the doors, black crowes, AC/DC, stuff like that. Even enjoy playing some Creedence, taj mahal.. and stuff. Do you play? I'm playing in a band at the moment as rhythm, with some vocals. Its nothing serious though, just a laugh!

When you say "play the guitar" do you really mean "play guitar hero"?  Apparently there are a lot of people out there who feel those 2 statements are the same.

Guitar Hero is a fun game, especially when the lads are round with a few beers. Yes, I play actual guitar too.