[ARCHIVE] Get to know your fellow coder

ober

• Replies 382
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I do not play guitar, but I always wanted to.  I've actually been thinking about getting one for a while now.

As far as I've seen most people start out by learning how to play a power chord accompanied with a beer. A lot of the basic rock songs use that one chord and that chord only. As for the beer , yeah well that just gives you the illusion that you are playing better.

I do not play guitar, but I always wanted to.  I've actually been thinking about getting one for a while now.

As far as I've seen most people start out by learning how to play a power chord accompanied with a beer. A lot of the basic rock songs use that one chord and that chord only. As for the beer , yeah well that just gives you the illusion that you are playing better.

Generally start learning some basic notes and chords. Power chords would probably strain your hand too much at first and be harder to play. Plus a power chord isn't just 1 chord, there's quite a lot of 'em. Oh and a rock song made of power chords only would be awful, and booze makes it much harder to play at first.. but you can get used to it!

I found AC/DC songs were the best to learn from, the rhythm in certain songs is really simple but sounds pretty good, or amazing to yourself if you've just started learning.

Generally start learning some basic notes and chords. Power chords would probably strain your hand too much at first and be harder to play. Plus a power chord isn't just 1 chord, there's quite a lot of 'em.

Yeah true it's more then one chord but for simplicity it's pretty much the same grip for the majority of 'em. As for the strain everything you try on the guitar hurts the first week especially on steel strings. You're fingers tops will loose slight sensitivity. strain from chords you're shoulders might even cramp from holding the darn thing the wrong way.

Oh and a rock song made of power chords only would be awful,

nah you could still do a lot of variation  with those such as muted palm. Besides that it's an easy way to start if you're too lazy to learn the basic ABCDEFG chords

and booze makes it much harder to play at first.. but you can get used to it!

indeed

I guess as the music I listen to probably differs to your taste, we have different ideas about how only varied power chords would sound in a song. In my opinion, awful. And if it's the first thing you learn the guitarist must be pretty sh*t. I'm hoping you're only talking about the rythm guitarist here, and not lead?

And if it's the first thing you learn the guitarist must be pretty sh*t.

I don't really see how learning power chords as the first thing would define a guitarist as a bad guitarist. Sure if power chords is the only thing you know that doesn't mean you are worth being called a guitarist but someone can certainly grow from  there.

In the end it's all about the fun someone has from learning a specific instrument. That fun might turn into loving that instrument and have that as a motivation for learning more about it. It's usually the passion for an instrument or maybe even always that will make someone  grow from rookie to master.

I myself started out with power chords and just trying out certain melodies I was familiar with. Before that I learned classical piano. I might not be a guitar virtuoso but far from sh*tty :P

Ha folk songs, you can get some bloody good rolling stones type folky songs!!!

Ha and to DJKat, I can't really be bothered any more to discuss this, put it down to a draw if you want.. Music taste differs for everyone! As you said guitar is fun not some shite reason to bloody make forum posts about and wine about it, s'wrong with me? I personally like a bloody good lead guitarist like jimmy page, slash or t'old jimi.

Ha and to DJKat, I can't really be bothered any more to discuss this, put it down to a draw if you want.. Music taste differs for everyone! As you said guitar is fun not some shite reason to bloody make forum posts about and wine about it, s'wrong with me? I personally like a bloody good lead guitarist like jimmy page, slash or t'old jimi.

Couldn't agree with you more peace man

I go to a Community College aiming appear a Computer Technology Systems amount and am disturbing through the acceptable aisle to the "real world." I allege English and Spanish..(thanks to 10 years of dedication) and I like to affair and get ~retarded.

Who

I go to a Community College aiming appear a Computer Technology Systems amount and am disturbing through the acceptable aisle to the "real world." I allege English and Spanish..(thanks to 10 years of dedication) and I like to affair and get ~retarded.

Bienvenido a phpfreaks.com, ojala te lo desfrutes ;)

I'm Sean. I'll be 18 in 12 days.

In the past 6 years, i've learned: HTML, JavaScript, Java, Visual Basic, C++ and PHP. I plan to have a more-than-basic knowledge of CSS and touch back up on JS, so I can do AJAX.

I'm starting college in August, majoring in Computer Science. I'd like to get either a master's degree or even a Ph.D, depending on how everything goes the next few years.

I'd like to own my own web design business, even if it's just a side-job. I'm trying to get it started now with my friend and we'll see what happens throughout college.

I guess i'll get out of programming and get more into me, lol.

I've recently started working out, i'm doing a program called P90X with the same friend from before. I also like playing soccer, nothing serious, just with a group of friends. I drive a 98 Prelude, which in my opinion is a nice car. No girlfriend right now, but there'll be quite a selection once college starts.

I'm Sean. I'll be 18 in 12 days.

In the past 6 years, i've learned: HTML, JavaScript, Java, Visual Basic, C++ and PHP. I plan to have a more-than-basic knowledge of CSS and touch back up on JS, so I can do AJAX.

I'm starting college in August, majoring in Computer Science. I'd like to get either a master's degree or even a Ph.D, depending on how everything goes the next few years.

I'd like to own my own web design business, even if it's just a side-job. I'm trying to get it started now with my friend and we'll see what happens throughout college.

I guess i'll get out of programming and get more into me, lol.

I've recently started working out, i'm doing a program called P90X with the same friend from before. I also like playing soccer, nothing serious, just with a group of friends. I drive a 98 Prelude, which in my opinion is a nice car. No girlfriend right now, but there'll be quite a selection once college starts.

you need to get a PHD in css and html like me i also got a phd in javascript lol

you need to get a PHD in css and html like me i also got a phd in javascript lol

Can I have a copy of your thesis? I'd like to know what your research has shown.

im just sayin a degree is cool and a phd is cooler my cuz is a phd in physics but he finished uni when he was 35 ???? my motto: a man needs a trade that he can ply but life is for living, i done 3 years dedicated i got a first class in network computer science, if your gonna do a phd you migth aswell join the army.