[ARCHIVE] Get to know your fellow coder

ober

• Replies 382
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

my cuz is a phd in physics but he finished uni when he was 35 ????

Then either he started late, he is really slow, or he is in some sort of obscure subfield of physics.

if your gonna do a phd you migth aswell join the army.

What does the army have to do with any of this? A PhD is a research degree. If you don't want to do research, getting a PhD is pointless. Good luck getting a research position at even a half-decent university without a PhD. I also wouldn't want a lecturer who only had for instance a Bachelor's. However, as I said in another topic, being highly educated just for being highly educated is a waste of time and money.

my cuz is a phd in physics but he finished uni when he was 35 ????

Then either he started late, he is really slow, or he is in some sort of obscure subfield of physics.

not necessarily - a lot of physics Ph.D's take a hell of a long time, regardless of their thesis area. it's especially true if he went the B.Sc.-M.Sc.-Ph.D. route (rather than straight B.Sc.-Ph.D.).

i have like a few cuzons with phd's but most of them took like a few years however this guy made some sort of lazer for his thesis so he must be high up, i am proud of him. lol, he worked in that reactor thingy the realy long one where they break teh atoms. now hes moved to austrailia

i have like a few cuzons with phd's but most of them took like a few years however this guy made some sort of lazer for his thesis so he must be high up, i am proud of him. lol, he worked in that reactor thingy the realy long one where they break teh atoms. now hes moved to austrailia

Chernobyl?

Hello

My name is David González (no speedy gonzalez <_<, and no I'm not mexican either). Anyways, I live in Puerto Rico, the island of corruption.

I'm 20, turning 21 this July 12. I've started learning PHP last 2004-2005 and so on. Where I also met Daniel0 but I forgot already how we met. All I remember was that I typed like an idiot "hw u doin, lolz did u see tat! omgwtfbbq!" or something like that. Well, also on that time I picked HTML, CSS and a bit of MySQL.

Anyways, a few years passed and I still had Daniel on MSN I don't remember what I said to him but registered into this forum which I use to keep shaping my PHP and well other things (eventually) and join other discussions.

Eventually I regained my lost interest in programming and got back in shape to continue learning PHP best practices, solutions and best interest in application design. From there I picked Java and today just started dabbling with C# with Mono.

OS I use is archlinux, I'm no windows hater either(or microsoft), just getting experience. The IDE I use is netbeans 6.7 (btw do people keep saying, "hey, 1337 people use notepads, n00b!"? :|)

Personal life:

Social life == :(. I love reading books, about to finish The Book Thief to start Dry Ice. Favorite bands: Cranberries, Dream Theater, Iron Maiden, Metallica *to be honest, just the S&M release :x*. I have a dog named brigand which sometimes I feel like kicking for crapping the floor !

Favorite series: House, Supernatural, Fringe, True Blood

<Whine>

Still kicking myself for joining a sucky institution that could resemble a school in a third world. I have learned almost nothing. Last semester was supposed to be "introduction to web applications"," introduction to application design". We picked up flowcharting, ok. The professor gave the shittiest lesson ever, and tried to cover the lesson within 3 days. Now, there wouldn't be much problem, except SHE didn't know how to explain. Every time she started explaining somehow sentence jumped to another unrelated sentence.

Well, it'll drop it here lol, else it'll never end.. besides, we went into a Strike against the institution administration afterwards... blah blah

</Whine>

Favorite beverage: Heineken 

Sorry if there are some grammar errors, spanish here :P

• 2 months later...

It's like "pong" with a wall in the middle, only with a real ball and real people. The ball hurts like hell when it hits you in the nuts.

Ha, I play squash every week and quite luckily never taken a jab like that yet! Hurts like hell to the face as well!

I'm Gareth. I'm just over 17 years old. I started learning HTML in late '04 and I moved onto Javascript after a while. I wanted to go on to PHP but I could never seem to set up the whole Apache/PHP/MySQL thing on my Windows machine. I finally found out about EasyPHP late '05 early '06 and I started learning PHP off the tutorial on w3schools (which I have found to be an invaluable source of information). I kinda lost interest of PHP for about 9 months in '07, but then I got back into it

I always wanted to learn Java/C#, but getting the compilers and the tutorials... I'm too comfortable with PHP (Which I'm learning something new all the time).

That just about sums me up I reckon

Hi,

I am 36 years old and live in Oxfordshire in the UK. I have been studying PHP/MySQL on and off (more off than on!) for the past 18 months. As I am now unemployed, I am devoting more time to learning PHP/MySQL so I hope to become fairly competent in the subject.

My name is Alex, I live on Long Island right outside of NYC and I'm 16 years old (Since Sunday!).

I got interested in programming (more specifically, web development) a couple years ago through a friend who was into that kind of thing. I originally started with HTML and CSS, but I never really liked that too much; soon after I moved onto PHP & MySQL. Over the past few years I've dipped into a bunch of other programming languages like C++, JavaScript and AS3 (Which I actually just got back into more seriously). I'm constantly studying programming languages and always trying to learn more. Currently it's just a hobby, although I do make money from freelancing here and there :P

I'm currently still in high school, I'm a junior (11th grade). I have no idea where I'm going to college yet, or even what I want to major in. I'm extremely indecisive which doesn't help at all and it's getting close so that's pretty stressful. Recently I've been considering a job in computers, and studying for a degree in computer science; but I see programming more of just a hobby for me at the moment.

Hi, my name is Pete or Cags as I tend to be called online and I'm from Leicestershire (UK). I'm 26, I started to teach myself PHP about 4 months ago. I'll probably (try to) be giving more help as opposed to asking questions around here. Just thought I'd say hello.

Cant believe ive only just seen this thread!

Neil, 28 years old, Liverpool United Kingdom.

Big Everton FC fan (soccer for the Americans) & love golf, have a 14 handicap.

Started web development back in 1997 and been a developer for a company in Manchester, England for the last 5 years using php, mysql, perl and the rest of the usual stuff. MCP & Novell certified. Trained in UNIX, and have a load of other programming qualifications.

Hi everyone!

Hmm, didn't even know this thread existed.

Name is Mike, 19 years old. Been coding php for about 5 years now, and been doin javascript for about 3. HTML for about 6 years, CSS for about 3 too. I dabble in flash every now and then. Go to college in New york City (pursuing a computer science degree) I also code in Java, C++, Python, and a couple of others I can't remember.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello to everyone,

I am new to these forums & this wonderful community so ill give a little background about myself.

My name is Matt, I am 21 years of age and live in the UK (England).

I am a founder of a gaming community/clan where alot of my time online is spent coding in PHP/HTML to improve my community website and clan. www.sog-team.co.uk

I stumbled across PHP code when I first started my first website in 2006 when I chose vbulletin forum software to base it. Ever since, I have grown learning more and more about PHP everyday enabling me to become quite an enthusiast for coding and vbulletin modifications.

I have released several vbulletin modifications at the official mods site vbulletin.org, and have coded several stand alone scripts in use at my site including an automated admin "Bot" that administrates the gameservers we own in SWAT 4.

I have joined this forum as despite the above, I am still to many a novice to the world of PHP, and I endeavour to become one day the person who can pass down knowledge to others rather than requesting it myself. I have learnt alot over the years but think it is now time to further my efforts by joining a community like this.

I will look forward to liasing with alot of you and testing your brains aloing with (hopefully) testing my own :)

Thanks again,

Matt