[ARCHIVE] Get to know your fellow coder

ober

• Replies 382
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just found this bit. It pays to look :)

My name is Martin and I'm an addict. I'm 30 and live/work in West Yorkshire.

I have only recently signed up but have visited this site/forum many times looking for info whilst going through the learning process :)

I have about 5 years(ish) experience with php. Took an interest after spending many years building servers to run it so thought I may as well see what all the fuss is about. Don't really consider myself an expert but I know enough to get by and enjoy learning new things. I mainly joined to try help others as I find you can learn an awful lot trying to help others solve their issues and also to bounce ideas off other people who know what they are doing. I could babble on all day about random rubbish but I'll leave it there!

I have only recently signed up but have visited this site/forum many times looking for info whilst going through the learning process :)

I have about 5 years(ish) experience with php. Took an interest after spending many years building servers to run it so thought I may as well see what all the fuss is about. Don't really consider myself an expert but I know enough to get by and enjoy learning new things. I mainly joined to try help others as I find you can learn an awful lot trying to help others solve their issues and also to bounce ideas off other people who know what they are doing. I could babble on all day about random rubbish but I'll leave it there!

well done martin , i can tell you all the fuss is about zend_framework and high tech javascript frameworks like extjs but you can build your own php oop mvc and js framework from jquery

well done martin , i can tell you all the fuss is about zend_framework and high tech javascript frameworks like extjs but you can build your own php oop mvc and js framework from jquery

looked at the zend framework among many others and decided against them. I use a basic framework I wrote myself as I don't see the point on having a vast library full of classes I'm never going to use. Plus I know it inside out so its much easier for me to maintain. I'm not saying its better because I betting it really isn't. But it suits my needs and works as I intended it to so I suppose thats sufficent. :) I've never really been a fan of javascript but I do see the advantages of AJAX so its on my list of things to improve my knowledge of. I have to say though, I like some of the best practices zend use so I have adopted them in my own work.

looked at the zend framework among many others and decided against them. I use a basic framework I wrote myself as I don't see the point on having a vast library full of classes I'm never going to use. Plus I know it inside out so its much easier for me to maintain. I'm not saying its better because I betting it really isn't. But it suits my needs and works as I intended it to so I suppose thats sufficent. :) I've never really been a fan of javascript but I do see the advantages of AJAX so its on my list of things to improve my knowledge of. I have to say though, I like some of the best practices zend use so I have adopted them in my own work.

no no no, the framework is a base for you to create modules onto and when you leave or hand over teh aplication to others they can continue the module development.

when it comes to the big boys no screws are left loose, a framework like the zend mvc is the pinnacle of php

it takes time and practice, start from basic applications , some people are slower at learning than others, it takes me about 1 or 2 days  to learn anyones technology.

there is a differentce between a good developer and a solid SOLID engineer they need to work together and learn from each other then when they are equal they can work together but you need to pick STANDARDS

your software should incorperate software principals that are established

system setup

development environment

development GUI's

modular framework setup

library setup

coding and file structure and modification standards setup

versioning and backup

clustering and mirroring

quality assurance

testing (now this is the tricky part as in how much are you willing to do)

hook based environemntal tests

and full black and white tests

testing should be built in to a real big boy aplication none of those kiddy scripts

libraries need to be built in so you can carry your application and create other applications with it, the version of your base application will increase,

but i see what your sayign about teh zend its hard to have others work, but rember its all others work, libraries dont realy slow teh machine the more teh merrier

no no no, the framework is a base for you to create modules onto and when you leave or hand over teh aplication to others they can continue the module development.

when it comes to the big boys no screws are left loose, a framework like the zend mvc is the pinnacle of php

it takes time and practice, start from basic applications , some people are slower at learning than others, it takes me about 1 or 2 days  to learn anyones technology.

there is a differentce between a good developer and a solid SOLID engineer they need to work together and learn from each other then when they are equal they can work together but you need to pick STANDARDS

your software should incorperate software principals that are established

system setup

development environment

development GUI's

modular framework setup

library setup

coding and file structure and modification standards setup

versioning and backup

clustering and mirroring

quality assurance

testing (now this is the tricky part as in how much are you willing to do)

hook based environemntal tests

and full black and white tests

testing should be built in to a real big boy aplication none of those kiddy scripts

do you ever stop to read what you post, or do you just sorta "go for it?"

Hi, I'm Jester. I'm a member of the Cloud 9 Crew Urban Terror clan, and a PHP developer in the Cloud 9 Code Crew.

I've been doing PHP for about three or four months now. Still learning, and enjoying every bit of it.

I've got a couple of major Urban Terror-related projects I've worked on so far (that I unfortunately can't disclose).

I'm 19. I live in Georgia, USA. I'm Atheist, and I pretty much eat, sleep, and breathe computers. I'm working on my second year toward an Associate's in Computer Information Systems and one in Networking. I'll be going for my Comptia certifications soon. Currently I work in a small local computer shop doing OS reinstalls and building refurb boxes.

Any questions, feel free to ask.

Hi, I'm Jester. I'm a member of the Cloud 9 Crew Urban Terror clan, and a PHP developer in the Cloud 9 Code Crew.

I've been doing PHP for about three or four months now. Still learning, and enjoying every bit of it.

I've got a couple of major Urban Terror-related projects I've worked on so far (that I unfortunately can't disclose).

I'm 19. I live in Georgia, USA. I'm Atheist, and I pretty much eat, sleep, and breathe computers. I'm working on my second year toward an Associate's in Computer Information Systems and one in Networking. I'll be going for my Comptia certifications soon. Currently I work in a small local computer shop doing OS reinstalls and building refurb boxes.

u should try girls

tell me what your quarrel is ?

u should try girls

I'm engaged to my soulmate. =] She thinks geeks are sexy. Lol

I think he is referring to the unintelligibility of many of your posts.

I think he is referring to the unintelligibility of many of your posts.

go on then break it down and tell me where im wrong ? i don't mind criticism

u should try girls

YOU should try proper capitalization, punctuation, and oh yeah.. English. You know what, forget about that. Just don't post anything any more and we'll call it even. I think everyone knows all they need they need to about you by now (I doubt anyone really needed all 30 posts for it though).

i don't mind criticism

People say that, but they don't really mean it. However, if you are absolutely serious this I will happily oblige. But be warned: there's about a 80% chance you will be pissed off. I really don't care much if you are, just don't say I didn't warn you. Possibly you're already pissed off, in which case you might want to pass.

u should try girls

YOU should try proper capitalization, punctuation, and oh yeah.. English. You know what, forget about that. Just don't post anything any more and we'll call it even. I think everyone knows all they need they need to about you by now (I doubt anyone really needed all 30 posts for it though).

i don't mind criticism

People say that, but they don't really mean it. However, if you are absolutely serious this I will happily oblige. But be warned: there's about a 80% chance you will be pissed off. I really don't care much if you are, just don't say I didn't warn you. Possibly you're already pissed off, in which case you might want to pass.

no go ahead it would be great to know

The simple fact is nadeemshafi9 that this post is about letting others know who you are. Not diving into a massive post on promoting a framework using all kinds of buzzwords regarding software engineering processes such as, 'modular framework setup, coding and file structure and modification standards setup, versioning and backup, clustering and mirroring'. I mean come on. It looks like you have posted from a book or a university lecture slide. You are off on a tangent that makes people think that you are 'just going for it' posting anything. A lot of the members here are newbies to programming and won't have the slightest idea what you are on about.

The simple fact is nadeemshafi9 that this post is about letting others know who you are. Not diving into a massive post on promoting a framework using all kinds of buzzwords regarding software engineering processes such as, 'modular framework setup, coding and file structure and modification standards setup, versioning and backup, clustering and mirroring'. I mean come on. It looks like you have posted from a book or a university lecture slide. You are off on a tangent that makes people think that you are 'just going for it' posting anything. A lot of the members here are newbies to programming and won't have the slightest idea what you are on about.

Don't encourage him.

Ok, remember you asked for this. It is probably a good thing I am not a staff member anymore ;)

Episode 1: Nadeem the awesome programmer

some people are slower at learning than others, it takes me about 1 or 2 days to learn anyones technology

Only two days to learn “anyones tech”? Wow Nad, that *is* impressive.

dude il teach u everything u need to know about every language, when u need it, u go on teh internet and type in language name PROCESS instantiation, or language name Class definition or language name array manipulation thats it all the other bits are icing on the cake, oh and HTTP request

Ok, so you know everything about everything, except for the icing on the cake. I'm not a pastry guy myself.

Hi

I done this algorithm before i just dont have the code to hand,

can someone remind me how to do a nice loop thogh,

i have a tree array that maye have infinite child arrays childeren of childeren etc,

can somone remind me the algo.

Regards

Nad

Hold on Nad, you mean you “forgot” what recursion is? I guess that wasn't in the 2 minute crash course. Or maybe this is just icing on the cake. I guess you don't really need it then anyway.

whats wrong with eval ? apart from not getting any error codes ????, if your a good programmmer you dont need error codes lol,

If only everyone was such a great programmer as yourself, then we would live in an error free world. Debugging would be non-existent. We could all write in what Naddy passes off as English and every interpreter would get what we are trying to do, always. Yes, the world would indeed be a better place.

hi guys

i need to turn off strict standards errors for a bit,

any suggestions on how to do this in teh code ?

thanks

Hold on Nad, you “forgot” how set the error level? And why do you need any error reporting at all? Is the perfect world falling apart? Is it the apocalypse?

what does the =& mean ???

thanks

Forgot references too? My god Naddy boy, lay off the acid.

hello guys

i am using zend frameworks LEFT JOIN  prepaired query.

I know ZF is becoming more and more comprehensive a library, but I didn't know they had their own SQL dialect. Cool to know, thanks Nad! For everything, but in particular for allowing us a little fun, getting away from day jobs.

To be continued..

im not talking out of a uni book, i do these things now, i started learning PHP when i joine dthis forum. Now in 3 years iv worked for 3 companies with different environments and setups standards etc.

I dont remeber all constructs, but I KNOW WHATS POSSIBLE and what may be possible, so if i need help i have no problem asking.

("The words that come from your mouth did not come from within yourself but are a picture in your mind taken by somone else, your verses run around in my head", Aziz Mian, Pakistan, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fKQ--7giN9Y )

("There is wisdom built into both beuty and love, what can i do i whant both at the same time, when my god breaks i pray, when the knowledge breaks what can i do", Aziz Mian, Pakistan, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fKQ--7giN9Y )

As a forward thinking people tell me what is a better concept, pooling for knowledge or trying to rember it all, rember the meta knowledge and then reproduce it by pooling many minds together on the net, that would make a good robot lol.

To the ones with irritated bowels , try some excersise and classical music.

We all work in the same feild, i have alot of respect for my elders, so dont get the wrong idea, im 24

If everything was standardised and enforced by force, then it would be a dim world.

@Adam: That's not how you spell fuck.

Nadeem, I have to admit, you are taking it better than I had expected. Hats off for that. Now stop exaggerating your skills and use proper language (nobody takes you seriously when you write like you do) and there's hope yet.