[ARCHIVE] Get to know your fellow coder

ober

• Replies 382
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i doubt there are any 14 year olds that actualy can do much, think about it if you were doing php when u were a kid you would have a shit life, you would have been a slave all ur life. Php is a tool for work which is creative, people need your creativness and understanding of computers and php to make money from you, or you can make money for yourself with ur creativness and long concentration span with php understanding alone, you need computer architecture understanding, money you make yourself will be harder than making for somone else who brings in work for you. A 14 year old programming is not good, at 14 you should be learning what everyone else is and having fun in the world u live in not a virtual world, your body and mind will wither if you do it for too long, most PHP work is repetitive creative tasks come once in a while. Its a hard job when your programming its very intensive in a working environment, i get stress from coding and having code on my mind all the time and the lingering responsibility to applications whith alot of users.

[quote author=nadeemshafi9 link=topic=112560.msg1011159#msg1011159 date=1223653038]
maybe some of these guys saying there 16 are actualy old men with some twisted fetish where they like to pretend to be kids lol
[/quote]

Reminds me of a member we once had. There was another member, a young female. Each time she posted that other member would reply and accuse her of being an undercover cop.

[quote]Reminds me of a member we once had. There was another member, a young female. Each time she posted that other member would reply and accuse her of being an undercover cop.[/quote]

Haha that's funny, I wish they were still here...

[quote author=Crayon Violent link=topic=112560.msg1011178#msg1011178 date=1223654004]
lol are you talking about jesi?
[/quote]

No, someone else. [url=http://www.phpfreaks.com/forums/index.php?action=profile;u=55924]This one[/url] I believe. I can't remember the username of that other guy who got banned for constantly harassing her though.

[quote author=aximbigfan link=topic=112560.msg1010748#msg1010748 date=1223605234]
My name is Chris.

I'm 16, own my own IT buisness doing small buisness/residential work.

I have been fluent in PHP for abotu a year now, and before that I learned JS, HTML, CSS and a few scripting langs.

I currently program:
HTML
CSS
JS
PHP
Bat
SH
C (learning)
VB (Learning)

I enjoy programming, flying (aiming to get my PPL soon, and am a member of my local EAA chapter (32)), biking (Kona!), and target shooting.

Chris

[/quote]

You own a business?  Where I live, I would have to be 18 to do that ;p.

You can have a business at any age in the UK but you need to be 16 (I believe) to register it as a company, etc. Anyway my name is Ben, 15 years of age and been programming fluently in PHP for about a year. My latest project is a PHP game (and it isn't like "the rest"). I have created many PHP apps before including a forum and some small projects for some friends.

[quote author=corbin link=topic=112560.msg1012381#msg1012381 date=1223789904]
[quote author=aximbigfan link=topic=112560.msg1010748#msg1010748 date=1223605234]
My name is Chris.

I'm 16, own my own IT buisness doing small buisness/residential work.

I have been fluent in PHP for abotu a year now, and before that I learned JS, HTML, CSS and a few scripting langs.

I currently program:
HTML
CSS
JS
PHP
Bat
SH
C (learning)
VB (Learning)

I enjoy programming, flying (aiming to get my PPL soon, and am a member of my local EAA chapter (32)), biking (Kona!), and target shooting.

Chris

[/quote]

You own a business?  Where I live, I would have to be 18 to do that ;p.
[/quote]

That's why I have a silent partner who IS above 18 ;)

Chris

[quote author=nadeemshafi9 link=topic=112560.msg1011165#msg1011165 date=1223653391]
i doubt there are any 14 year olds that actualy can do much, think about it if you were doing php when u were a kid you would have a shit life, you would have been a slave all ur life. Php is a tool for work which is creative, people need your creativness and understanding of computers and php to make money from you, or you can make money for yourself with ur creativness and long concentration span with php understanding alone, you need computer architecture understanding, money you make yourself will be harder than making for somone else who brings in work for you. A 14 year old programming is not good, at 14 you should be learning what everyone else is and having fun in the world u live in not a virtual world, your body and mind will wither if you do it for too long, most PHP work is repetitive creative tasks come once in a while. Its a hard job when your programming its very intensive in a working environment, i get stress from coding and having code on my mind all the time and the lingering responsibility to applications whith alot of users.
[/quote]

At least some of us can write, ugh, your sentence structure is an abomination.

And, I at least do know how to code fluently. I have written a full DB server and client API 100% from scratch. The system currently supports...
* Reading DB keys
* Writing DB keys
* A dir/file structure
* Imaging the DB
* Restoring an image of the DB
* Renaming (keys, dirs)
*.... etc...
The system has been up for at least a few weeks with no problems. It gets a Query about once every 5 minutes, since I have an app on my computer that fetches a new desktop wallpaper from the DB.

I will agree that there are lots of people on this board who have no idea whats going on, but there are some good ones, like DarkWater. He has helped me several times, and I think he is 14 or 15.

EDIT: Meant to include Corbin, he is pretty young too.
Another EDIT: I am 16, not 14, so the OP may not apply to me or the others as much.

Chris

[quote author=chrisdburns link=topic=112560.msg1012408#msg1012408 date=1223798066]
I had to wait till I was 18, but I got it straight out of high school.  That was almost 3 years ago, and I still don't know how to pay the taxes.  I should probably figure that out.
[/quote]

So you're 16, but you had to wait till you were 18?

And yeah nadeemshafi9, I think depending on the person, someone could code fine at 14.

[quote author=Daniel0 link=topic=112560.msg1011231#msg1011231 date=1223658455]
[quote author=Crayon Violent link=topic=112560.msg1011178#msg1011178 date=1223654004]
lol are you talking about jesi?
[/quote]

No, someone else. [url=http://www.phpfreaks.com/forums/index.php?action=profile;u=55924]This one[/url] I believe. I can't remember the username of that other guy who got banned for constantly harassing her though.
[/quote]

Lol I laughed out loud so hard at that one that I went digging:

[quote]
Considerin KELLZ lies about her age (14yo) ...More like a 40yo COP!!

I wouldnt believe her about this either.
[/quote]

[quote]
I don't know what your obsession is with kellz and the cop thing, but leave it alone.
[/quote]

[quote author=ProjectFear link=topic=112560.msg1013078#msg1013078 date=1223899746]
How is he 16? What? I'm lost, according to his profile he's 20. ???
[/quote]

I think I misread his first post and thought he said he was currently 16.

I wrote that at 6:50AM :( lol.

[quote author=aximbigfan link=topic=112560.msg1012803#msg1012803 date=1223858191]
And, I at least do know how to code fluently. I have written a full DB server and client API 100% from scratch. The system currently supports...
* Reading DB keys
* Writing DB keys
* A dir/file structure
* Imaging the DB
* Renaming (keys, dirs)
*.... etc...
The system has been up for at least a few weeks with no problems. It gets a Query about once every 5 minutes, since I have an app on my computer that fetches a new desktop wallpaper from the DB.[/quote]

This is both impressive and depressing.  Impressive for you, depressing for me.

May I ask what language(s) your server and API were written in?

Man, if only I was 10 years younger.  In my day, we didn't have such easy access to programming technology.  If you wanted to program, you went to college.  No one in the 'real world' (read: non technical households) knew what *nix was, and you couldn't just download various programming platforms to your Windows 95 machine (sans Java, of course).  Of course, back then, Perl CGI scripts were the popular way of processing user data, too....

Dammit, you kids get off my lawn! :shakes cane:

[quote author=chrisdburns link=topic=112560.msg1012408#msg1012408 date=1223798066]
I had to wait till I was 18, but I got it straight out of high school.  That was almost 3 years ago, and I still don't know how to pay the taxes.  I should probably figure that out.
[/quote]

i rember when u first joined i rember ur were on about ur buisness, i dont belive ur 16 lol.[quote author=Nightslyr
link=topic=112560.msg1013361#msg1013361 date=1223920459]
[quote author=aximbigfan link=topic=112560.msg1012803#msg1012803 date=1223858191]
* Reading DB keys
* Writing DB keys
* A dir/file structure
* Imaging the DB
* Renaming (keys, dirs)
*.... etc...
The system has been up for at least a few weeks with no problems. It gets a Query about once every 5 minutes, since I have an app on my computer that fetches a new desktop wallpaper from the DB.[/quote]

Man, if only I was 10 years younger.  In my day, we didn't have such easy access to programming technology.  If you wanted to program, you went to college.  No one in the 'real world' (read: non technical households) knew what *nix was, and you couldn't just download various programming platforms to your Windows 95 machine (sans Java, of course).  Of course, back then, Perl CGI scripts were the popular way of processing user data, too....

[/quote]

this is some good coding what languages u use ? C and ? C?

I do agree that when your 14 you can't be too good of a coder. I'm not a great coder but I have learned a great deal in these past 4 months out of the 9 months i've been learning PHP. I get so stressed out sometimes when things aren't working how I plan them to kindof like right now. Mostly just SQL that gives me problems when I cross script PHP and MySQL, but yeah. It's definately the trade everyone is wanting to learn now a days. But I am definatly still learnin a good deal of things from here and many other sites. I think im doing good so far for teaching myself and experimenting with php instead of having someone teach me it. But i hope to be as good as some of the others on this site soon. :)

[quote author=Nightslyr link=topic=112560.msg1013361#msg1013361 date=1223920459]
* Reading DB keys
* Writing DB keys
* A dir/file structure
* Imaging the DB
* Renaming (keys, dirs)
*.... etc...

[/quote]

It it written in PHP, for now. It uses the php socket_create set of functions.

The only bug is that when 2 or more queries come in at the exact same time, the server hangs for about 5 sec. It will soon be ported to C or Java. I'm guessing there are a few more bugs that I have not discovered yet. MY style of coding it to
1. Prototype ultralight "framework"
2. Add functions
while (2!='bug free')
fix_bugs(2);
3. goto 2

The API is also written in PHP. It is simply included in the app that needs the API, and it has a set of functions for the queries.

Chris

[quote]

The API is also written in PHP. It is simply included in the app that needs the API, and it has a set of functions for the queries.

Chris
[/quote]

sounds very interesting i would love to take up such endeavors but unfortunately work boring repetitive pseudo programming oop php takes up my time.

[quote author=nadeemshafi9 link=topic=112560.msg1019206#msg1019206 date=1224503997]
[quote]

Chris
[/quote]

sounds very interesting i would love to take up such endeavors but unfortunately work boring repetitive pseudo programming oop php takes up my time.
[/quote]

Thanks!

The server was... An experience to write. Some of the vital functions are just barley out of experimental status, so I was always dealing with undocumented parameters, etc.

The API was quite simple to write, it just took a while to get the most performance out of it. Basically it works like this:

When the client (probably a PHP file) wants to get a connection, a new Remote_KeyDB object is asked for. The params for connection (host, password, port) are given, and are stored.

When the client wants to make a query, the function KDB_Query is called. KDB_Query is only used for read, write, delete, and exists operations. All other operations (list in dir, rename, make image, restore image, etc) are handled by their own functions.

Here is an example of some code that would use the DB server
[code=php:0]
include 'KeyDB_API.php';
$handle = new Remote_KeyDB('PASS', '192.168.1.20', '123');
//Write 'test' to a new key (key/dir creation are handled automatically)
$handle->KDB_Query('W', 'dirhere', 'newkey', 'test');

//Echo what is in that key
echo $handle->KDB_Query('R', 'dirhere', 'newkey');
[/code]

MUCH easier than MySQL, right? Errors/return codes are also checked with a separate function.
KDB_Fail(); if false after last query, connection to the server on a socket level failed
KDB_LastRcode(); returns and integer with an explanation if the Query worked, or not.

Chris