[ARCHIVE] Get to know your fellow coder

ober

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 382
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ILMV stand for i love my vans, and no, not transit vans --> http://www.extreme-direct.co.uk/ProdImg/20879_1_large.jpg

And the whole 'this thread is useless without pics' notion is not enough encouragement for me to post 'almost nude' pics of my girlfriend :P although I would say that if I did do that, I would have no meat+veg to speak of :D

Ah Ben, nice to see that i finally found you. I will vouch for Ben, he has a GF, and she is SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO...nice... ;)

Anyway. My name is Dylan, Im 16, just about 17 (Dec 27th). I have been coding in PHP for the past 2.5 years. Some place i would really like to visit is the UK so i can meet up with some of my buddies that i talk with.

ILMV stand for i love my vans, and no, not transit vans --> http://www.extreme-direct.co.uk/ProdImg/20879_1_large.jpg

And the whole 'this thread is useless without pics' notion is not enough encouragement for me to post 'almost nude' pics of my girlfriend :P although I would say that if I did do that, I would have no meat+veg to speak of :D

Ah Ben, nice to see that i finally found you. I will vouch for Ben, he has a GF, and she is SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO...nice... ;)

Anyway. My name is Dylan, Im 16, just about 17 (Dec 27th). I have been coding in PHP for the past 2.5 years. Some place i would really like to visit is the UK so i can meet up with some of my buddies that i talk with.

theres a recession in the uk, they say it bites anyone who come snear it i never seen it thogh so i dont belive in it.

theres a recession in the uk, they say it bites anyone who come snear it i never seen it thogh so i dont belive in it.

Do you believe in air?

You were kidding, right?  The technical term of a recession has definitely been met, although some people feel it less than others.

Hi all, just climbed on board mainly because I am getting back into programming. I am 49 years old, own my own business (plantations and reforestation) in Costa Rica where we employee more than 40 people.

I stopped coding about a year ago after more years than I like to remember (C++, SQL, DSP, VB, 25+ other languages) having gotten tired of debugging the world... besides, didn't need to.

Now, I have returned to my roots. I began programming as a hobby, now I am doing it again for enjoyment. We have a fulltime developer, but I don't want him to have all the fun. :lol:

Married for 28+ years, living in the tropics. I will try not to mention too much about our weather during the winter months up there...

Do you believe in air?

You were kidding, right?  The technical term of a recession has definitely been met, although some people feel it less than others.

i live with my parents i dont pay rent so i guess ur right

Mike Lopez here.  Am from the Philippines but working at home for a US-based company.  Married with 3 kids (which means I need to work really hard).  I'm also a blogger and I maintain a bunch of blogs on different topics.

I've been coding for almost 10 years now and though many admire my acquired talents, I still think that I still need to learn more - perhaps through the help of you guys. :)

Found this forum while trying to find for a solution for a problem with Bluefish's syntax highlighting for PHP strings defined the HEREDOC way.  This is the particular post that got me in:

http://www.phpfreaks.com/forums/index.php/topic,123419.msg1065693.html#msg1065693

Cheers!

Well, where should I start. As you will/can tell, my first language isn't English, so I apologize for grammar and spelling. Been a sort of programmer for a while. Started in '83 then went to play soldier for a few years (in '88).

Once I learned English (had no choice, ended up in Canada), I started up with programming again, and been doing it on and off for a few years now. Even got a diploma in Internet and E-Commerce Application Development. Woohoo! An other one for the office wall! Everybody has to make a living, right?

Currently working as a sub contractor for a video conferencing company / network provider. Don't do much programming anymore, so it became a sort of a hobby, doing projects for companies (name dropping spot here: Intel, Orange Julius, Peek Freans and a few more smaller - bigger projects for companies (internal applications) Telemerge, IPV Gateways...etc

The fave is PHP/MySQL stuff but sometimes still code .NET (but we don't talk about that). Most of my time is spent front of the computer, but it has it's upside as well. Don't have to leave the house if I don't feel up to it. Grab a beer and a smoke and have fun with some code.

What do I do for fun? Write PHP scripts. J/K. I play pool in a few leagues, and get together with a few buddies for a poker game or two. (or maybe that is in the drinking beer category)

Oh well, next I will learn some social skills, so I can actually talk to people about something (or at least myself). :-D

Hi everyone, I'm Michael Dean (but please don't call me Michael, Mike will do :P), I'm 19, I live in Essex, England and have recently gone self employed after leaving my last job a few months ago.

I've been programming since I was 14 as a hobby, but have stepped it up over the past 2 years. I'm extremely confident in my PHP, Classic ASP skills, plus the usual XHTML, CSS and JavaScript, although you can never know everything, so I'll be looking forward to learning from some of your guys :).

My hello's always sound cheesy so I shall end it here. :)

• 2 weeks later...

hi all,

my name is sean. 21, married, 1 kid ( 2months old ). hmmm....bachelors in software engineering. i really like php for the fun but only have been messing with it for about a year or two. just looking for a good community to share and expand knowledge. i've run across this forum a few times while searching for a couple of fixes so i figured it would be a good one to join lol. im a huge texas hold'em fan and play alot on pokerstars. also play xbox live ( when i have the chance ) things like: halo, l4d, fable 2, etc. anyway, i guess that's me in a nutshell lol

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys, I thought I'd participate.  ;D

I'm Beau Brownlee, 26, married, and I live in the Washington DC area. I have been a javascript/XHTML/PHP/MySQL guy for awhile but also have done alot of development with other languages such as VB6 (back in the day), C#/Microsoft SQL, Python and some C++ (classic ASP if I have to admit it).

My passion is building out load balanced distributed web applications instead of just single server solutions. I like working on large web apps and discovering new ways of distributing work between multiple languages (rock on json RPC!!!!).

I am quite new here but not new to php.

I am 16 turning 17 this year. I am mature and not like other's. I go to school got a part time job got a girl friend and still manage to do online game's.

Some of you might have seen some of my php work. I am very proud of my self. My programming / coding is just a hobby and some pocket money for the week end's :).

I have 4 years experiance in html, css, php. 1 year in javascript and still learning. half a year in ajax and still learning.

I would like to learn perl, c/c++, c#, python.

With that im sorted.

I know 3 language's. Spanish, english, afrikaanse. Afrikaanse is the language we use here in south africa. You might wonder why i know spanish that's because i lived in mexico 4 year's and i got into the gaming there.

I own couple website's and one gaming engine of my own.

If you would like to get in contact. My msn is killah-city@hotmail.com.

www.killah-city.net used to be a fellow website of mine till i sold it. So that is why my email start's with killah-city.

And that's about all i can say about my self for now.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm new here (I found this site because I have a Computer Programming class in school and I need extra help) And I'm looking to have fun and learn alot about Computer Programming, because I want to be a Computer Programming. If this topic doesn't go here I'm sorry because I'll need some navigation as to what topics can go where and to get some extra help in programming. (Just to let you guys/girls know my class only uses PHP)

So thanks to anyone who helps.

P.S My name is Dylan, I'm 16 and I love WoW...

well i have been around here for a while now "10 days, 19 hours and 3 minutes" to be exact but i guess you guys dont know much about me

i'm 17 living in New Zealand i can write html/javascript but the design lets just say isn't my strong point (my last and only designed site was lime green and looks horrid really after a 6 weeks changing the design lol. i was also the only person in my year to fail art when i was 13 and i don't think i have gained any more skills lol) but my PHP/MYSQL are my strong points.

i have recently started learning Java and Java GUI's through Netbeans.

i am the head coder for my schools First Robotics team (first year New Zealand has competed) so i am slowly learning c for some Vex robots and will be learning how to use labView in a few weeks when we start or FRC robot.

i am also taking a CCNA course at High school and entering a competition for all CCNA students in New Zealand who go on to compete ageist Asia and Australia.

i also play Under Water Hockey for everyone who reads this and thinks i am a total sit in front of the PC nerd

and i would like to thank all the admins and fellow members who make the forums great  :) i have learnt so much here and would like to say you all do a great job in keeping this place running

Scott.

Hi. I am a thirteen year old w/ no life who is learning PHP for a project. I did a little BASIC programming in fourth grade and I tried to learn C++ when I was in fifth. Didn't turn out too well. I might start that up again after I'm done with this PHP project... then again, might stay the course. I want to become a physicist at CERN when I grow up, and I am good with photoshoping images.

Hi. I am a thirteen year old w/ no life who is learning PHP for a project. I did a little BASIC programming in fourth grade and I tried to learn C++ when I was in fifth. Didn't turn out too well. I might start that up again after I'm done with this PHP project... then again, might stay the course. I want to become a physicist at CERN when I grow up, and I am good with photoshoping images.

i tried learning programming when i was 13 aswell and it didnt go well i also used BASIC the language if that's what you mean, dont worry as long as you have a taste for it, when there is somone to teach you how to program you will pick it up easily just like anything else in the world once you are taght how to do somthing using a combination of methods that they use in universities you will know how to do it. In schools they dont use these teaching methods rather they expect you to memorise, university is different you are expected to understand underlying theories and constructs.

Dont worry you will learn when your taught, you cant expect to do a few tutorials and know it all, someone with a proper teaching plan will get the knowledge into you, at university, you prob have to go college first.

really? my personal and from-hearing experience with 'higher education' is that they just give you a list of all the homework/papers you need to turn in, tell you what books to buy, and then it's up to you to make sense of everything.  Professor rarely around and if he is, he's reading from something or other.  May as well be on TV or radio and they actually do do that a lot... One on one help? Go find a study group of people in the same boat as you, trying to figure it out.  Motto seems to be that you may learn the material, but you won't learn to think for yourself when someone else is holding your hand explaining it to you. 

But...it's possible I've just been to and heard about crappy colleges.