restricting access to records w/in a table to multiple users

Guest alex

I have a question regarding mysql.

I am offering a database service in which many customers will tap into the same database \"alex\" on my server. I only have access to this one database. I want to let many websites tie into database \"alex\" but I dont want these sites to have free access to all data in any one table.

e.g. I don\'t want a programmer to design a page (using the password prominently displayed in the connect function on their server that would mine info from other customers on my server. I would like to password protect database alex so multiple users would only be able to see their particular info, not other customers. I found something in mysql that would restrict access to particular tables, but nothing that would restrict access to particular records within a table.

Any ideas how to do this without having a different database for each band? Or screen scraping! (ugg) or web services?

Thanks for your help

alex

You need to set up table permissions.

You can restrict read,write, update, delete permissions through phpmyadmin, which really is the best and easiest way of doing this.

Also your mysql port needs to be open to access from outside the localhost if you wish to let then access the tables from a webpage not on your server, if your isp will allow this at all!

Kevin

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.