oscommerce alternative

I have client who needs an online store, but unfortunately I don't have a ecommerce app of my own yet. To be honest, this is the first time I had to do an ecommerce site at all.

I had a quick look into oscommerce, and I don't like what I see. Not only does version 2.2 still requires to have register_globals on, dispite the fact comments in application.php claim it is an temporary measure, it also doesn't have php5 support. Which means I can't use it on the same server as my framework, since it requires php5. The thing that bothers me most is the fact there is very little seperation between logic and presentation, making it harder to customize.

[code]        <td class="main"><b><?php echo ADDRESS_BOOK_TITLE; ?></b></td>
      </tr>
      <tr>
        <td><table border="0" width="100%" cellspacing="1" cellpadding="2" class="infoBox">
          <tr class="infoBoxContents">
            <td><table border="0" width="100%" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="2">
<?php
  $addresses_query = tep_db_query("select address_book_id, entry_firstname as firstname, entry_lastname as lastname, entry_company as company, entry_street_address as street_address, entry_suburb as suburb, entry_city as city, entry_postcode as postcode, entry_state as state, entry_zone_id as zone_id, entry_country_id as country_id from " . TABLE_ADDRESS_BOOK . " where customers_id = '" . (int)$customer_id . "' order by firstname, lastname");
  while ($addresses = tep_db_fetch_array($addresses_query)) {
    $format_id = tep_get_address_format_id($addresses['country_id']);
?>
              <tr>
                <td><?php echo tep_draw_separator('pixel_trans.gif', '10', '1'); ?></td>
                <td><table border="0" width="100%" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="2">[/code]

Yack.  :-X

So I'm looking for alternatives. Something relatively new, preferably. Php5 would be plus, but not absolutely required.

Suggestions?

remember that these packages like osCommerce, etc, are designed to allow users to built any sort of commerce site, meaning they tend to be overblown with all sorts that won't ever be used.

if you can do without the bells and whistles, they're actually much easier to make than you'd think, especially if you've got a framework to support it already. the trickiest bits are generally the payment integration, but if you've no particular worries with this or have done it before, you wont have too many issues at all.

The thing is, my framework isn't finished yet. I have it planned to be finished by the end of the year. I don't have the time to finish it first, and then I would still have to make an e-commerce module. I don't even have a regular content management module yet. I don't expect any of this to be complete before Febuari.

This current project is due somewhere in December.

I'm not concerned with payment integration. Payments will be done by bank transfer or iDeal (Dutch instant bank transfer method) only, no creditcard processing will be required. Integration of iDeal is a snap.

So I basicly need a quick fix. I would like some php5 solution so I can adapt code to work with my framework to have some basis for my e-commerce module once the framework is finished.

You know I don't like using other peoples code, but the current timeframe is leaving me little choice. I will of course study the package's workings, which is why I would like to be able to adapt some of the code for my e-commerce module I plan starting beginning of next year.

I'm doing all of this in my free time, so this is already a tight timeframe as is.

>>> Just read your reply while typing this. Thanks, I'll look into that.

I have designed a commerce web site ( http://www.coffeecoffee.com ).  We use MivaMerchant.  It is quite capable of handleing a big or small ecommerce, and it is OH so easy to work with.  The features in it allow you to monitor all sells and everything, without stuffing all those extra unwanted things into it.  It costs a few $$$, but it is well worth the price...especially since your doing it for someone and you can just add that into the ending price you charge them.

[quote author=obsidian link=topic=112642.msg457356#msg457356 date=1161781042]
http://www.zencart.com is the best by far that I've found for open source applications.
[/quote]

Yeah, I looked into that too. It's not very OOPish though... :(

[quote author=448191 link=topic=112642.msg457467#msg457467 date=1161794144]
Yeah, I looked into that too. It's not very OOPish though... :(
[/quote]

I agree, but when it comes down to it, the functionality on it is far superb to anything else I could find, and when it comes to OS stuff, sometimes you've got to take what you can get ;)

[quote author=obsidian link=topic=112642.msg457496#msg457496 date=1161796733]
I agree, but when it comes down to it, the functionality on it is far superb to anything else I could find, and when it comes to OS stuff, sometimes you've got to take what you can get ;)
[/quote]

Which is what this is about, I'll take the[b] BEST [/b]I can get. The more suggestions the better. Keep um coming. :P

EDIT: To be clear, I would really like something MVCish, so I can adopt code without too much trouble to work with my framework.

Just to share: I decided to go with Zencart, at least for this project, since my perfect PHP5/MVC cart doesn't seem to exist. As a startoff for my own e-commerce module, I'll probably use BakeSale. Which uses CakePHP. I don't like it very much, but I can probably make something out of it.

Thanks all.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.