can't ftp to subdomain

dombrorj

I have what I thought was a simple setup but is proving to be complicated. Here's my setup:

domain.com with DNS setup at Namecheap.

The A record is pointing to Server1

subdomain.domain.com A record is pointing to Server2.

The weird thing is everything seems to work fine. The subdomain loads in the broswer properly, email works, etc. But I can't ftp into it via ftp.subdomain.domain.com. My hosting provider suggested I need to get Namecheap to add a cname to for ftp pointing to subdomain.domain.com. So I went over to Namecheap and added:

ftp | subdomain.domain.com | cname

to fields... Host Name | ip/URL | Record Type

This didn't solve the issue and Namecheap support doesn't know how to help. Anyone know how to make this work?

Thanks!

What difference is it going to make if you add another subdomain onto your existing? None.

All these sub domains point to the same ip.

The problem is likely more to do with how your FTP server is configured. Maybe it's configured to only listen to a specific domain?

What FTP server are you using?

Hey thorpe,

Yeah, that's kinda what I though. It's strange that cpanel, email and everything else works fine, but I can't ftp in.

I'm using Smart FTP and just get a "connect failed" error when trying to connect. I believe it's a DNS issue though, because if I type in ftp.subdomain. domain.com into my browser, I get a "Unable to determine IP address from host name ftp.subdomain.doman.com" error.

You just said yourself that you can't ping ftp.subdomain.doman.com. Besides, that doesn't matter because subdomain.doman.com point to the same ip address. Another subdomain isn't going to make any difference at all.

I asked what ftp server your using.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.