Create a horizontal space 20% width

joe92

I think this is going to be very simple but it is just illuding me right now. What I want is to have two buttons in a form centered on their own line and equally spaced out between them by 20% of the parent div. Like so:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[button]<-- 20%--> [button]                           

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

With the space on the other sides variable to whats left. This is my code so far, html:

<div class="mainContent">
Text, text and then some.<br/><br/>
<div class="center">
	<input type="button" value="Yes" /><p class="widener"></p><input type="button" value="No" />
</div>
</div>

CSS:

<style type="text/css">
.mainContent{
width:70%;
border:solid 1px #000;
}
.center{
text-align:center;
}
.widener{
display:inline;
width:20%;
}
</style>

Is there a way to do this without using tables? I would like the gap to be 20% as the div that it is positioned in is relative to the size of the window.

Cheers,

Joe

Hey, thanks for the response. That almost worked. It gave the buttons the wanted 20% gap between them, however floats the buttons together with the gap to the left now instead of in the center. With much playing around, I couldn't force it to sit in the center. Would you be able to explain how the following CSS class works to me please?

.center input, .center p {
float:left;
}

I found a workaround however. It is to place the buttons in a div which has a set width, I have found 35% looks nice, and to give the div margins left and right auto. I then float the buttons inside, one to the right, and one to the left. It gives the desired effect. It looks like this now, html:

<div class="mainContent">
Text, text and then some.<br/><br/>
<div class="widener centered">
	<input type="button" class="floatR" value="No" /><input type="button" class="floatL" value="Yes" />
</div>
</div>

CSS:

.centered{
margin-right:auto;
margin-left:auto;
}
.floatL{
float:left;
}
.floatR{
float:right;
}
.widener{
	width:35%;
}

Thank you for your help haku

Joe

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.