Over 18 regex

giraffemedia

Hello, I'm trying to put together a regex that validates a two number input. I want a person to enter their age but it has to be 18 or over and up to 99.

I've tried using ^([1-9][8-9])$ but obviously that only validates 18, 19, 28, 29, 38, 39 etc missing out the other numbers.

Can anyone help please?

Why would you use regex for this?

Surely it's easier to just use regular php

$age = (int) $_POST['age'];
if($age >= 18 && $age <= 99) {
    // Age is correct
} else {
    // Age is incorrect
}

Hi Jay, if you read my 2nd post you'll see I can only enter a regex for validation.

JAY6390's example will only be true for values less than 100.

^(?:[1-9]\d{2,}+|[2-9]\d|1[89])$

The first section checks for 1-9 followed by 2 or more digits. This covers all numbers greater than 99

The second checks for a number between 2-9 followed by a single number. This covers all two digit numbers over 19

The final checks for a 1 followed by either an 8 or a 9. This covers 18 and 19.

The RegEx doesn't allow leading 0's, but this could be checked fairly easily by adding something like 0*+ immediately after the opening ^.

Hope this helps.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.