Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

makeshift_theory

php "constantly running" question

Sorry didn't know a better subject line first off....

Secondly here is the situation, I have written a php application that will watch different ports on my home server and display whether they are off or on, so I can check the status of my server at all times.  However I would like to implement some new functionality into this but I would like some opinions first.  The new functionality I would like to add is if a particular service goes down say Proftpd which is on port 21, I want it to send me an e-mail saying that service is down.  Now I know how to code all of that fine however I would for the script to "run on it's own."  The only two ways I can see doing this are to add a refresh on the page and keep it open at all times or create a shell script to open the page every so often.  I would like you guy's opinion on it before I attempt anything.  BTW I write on Linux so I can't do batch files, I use sh.

personally i'd just start a cron job to run every minute or so, depending on how often you want it to run.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.