Apache won't serve PHP files

Koobi

i'm running Apache v2.x on linux

the server itself is running, but apache doesn't recognize PHP files, it asks me if i want to download them.

i had to reinstall Apache the other day because i made a mess of it while messing about with it.

i've edited /etc/apache2/apache2.conf to add the following:

AddType application/x-httpd-php .php

and done a graceful restart with apache2ctl but it doesnt seem to work.

i also don't have an .ht* file in any of my dir's that might tell .php files are anything but applicatoin/x-httpd-php files.

i've tried everything i know but nothing works.

either i've forgotten something, or apache is reading another .conf file from somewhere else...but other changes to apache2.conf seem to work.

for example, i enabled the server-status and server-info options in that same conf file, and while server status doesnt seem to work, server-info gives a 403 header (forbidden) even when i run it as root via lynx.

does anyone know if there's an apache tool that i can use which will tell me the order of the conf files being read?

i'm open to any suggestions. i just can't figure out what i've missed out. i've done this a million times before :/

thanks.

hey, thanks for the reply.

all the paths i mention here are relative to /etc/apache2/

mods-available/ has php4.conf and php4.load

mods-available/php4.conf has this:

<IfModule mod_php4.c>
 AddType application/x-httpd-php .php .phtml .php3
 AddType application/x-httpd-php-source .phps
</IfModule>

and mods-available/php4.load ahs this:

LoadModule php4_module /usr/lib/apache2/modules/libphp4.so

and mods-enabled/ has php4.conf and php4.load which are both symlinks to their counterparts in mods-available/

so everything seems in order to me. am i missing something?

and all files in mods-enabled/ and mods-available/ are included via apache2.conf...but just to double-check things, i added the LoadModule directive for the PHP module in apache2.conf as well and when i tried graceful via apache2ctl, it throws an error saying that the module was already loaded.

thanks for your time.

it probably does. i haven't touched my PHP installation. i just reinstalled Apache, i did it again a few minutes ago but using Ubuntu's apt-get system, i didnt compile it manually.

i tried this:

php -in /etc/php4/apache2/

so that i could see the options but it still loads the php.ini from /etc/php4/cli/

got any ideas, effigy?

thanks so far.

ooops, i used -n instead of -c for PHP cli heh heh, anyway i just tried this:

php -c /etc/php4/apache2/php.ini -i | grep -i apache

and all i get is this:

Configuration File (php.ini) Path => /etc/php4/apache2/php.ini

so i guess i don't have that flag in my PHP install...but i don't recall touching my PHP installation in the last two days...

in any case, as long as i have the proper AddType directive in apache2.conf, Apache shouldn't ask me if i want to download the PHP file, right?

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.