upload script for multiple rows/columns

Bazzaah

Not sure if this is the right forum, but I have a database that I will need to populate with a large number of rows (2000+).

I have written a PHP script that uploads individual entries.

Is it possible to use something like a spreadsheet where I can set out the rows/columns as they will appear in the database, and then upload in one go rather than uploading each row individually?

Thanks for any observations and/or help.

Yes, this can be done easily by exporting your excel file to a csv and then importing that directly using mysql. Here is an example of what the query would look like:

LOAD DATA LOCAL INFILE '/path/to/your.csv' 
INTO TABLE `table` 
FIELDS TERMINATED BY ',' 
LINES TERMINATED BY '\n' 
(`field1`,`field2`,`field3`);

If I am not mistaken(it has been a while since i have done this) you will need to remove the top line from the cvs otherwise the column list at the top will also get inserted as a new row

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.