A cool way to do a content management...

Nitroware

erm...hate to be critical, but i have a few problems with it:
1, it has a flash banner. i hate flash (but thats a personal opinion, not a dig at what you've done with it)
2, it's very grey
3, it's phpBB. nowadays, there are so many better, still free forums.
4, so it tells the weather. on a forum. hope i havent missed the point, but why is that a good thing? oh, and it doesnt tell me the weather here in Bedfordshire, so is useless to me.
5, content management system? please go on, i'm curious.

cheers

[b]edit[/b]: whoops, this aint website critique...

Its ok, i like people critiqing my website.
Anyway, I have a script that by the id title (in the url), it looks into a table in a database and chacks to see if there is an enrty.  If there is, it reads the php code and displays it, with all the other info.  Really handy.  I also made it display all the pages that i had in the DB, I didnt like it, so i ditched it.  If you would like to see the source,  I can show you.

ok
here is is, (db and stuff is modifyed names)
[code]
<?
//Top*****************************************************************************************
define('IN_PHPBB', true);
$phpbb_root_path = './';

$i = 0;
while ( !file_exists($phpbb_root_path . 'extension.inc') && ($i++ < 4) )
{
$phpbb_root_path .= '../';
}
if ( $i > 4 )
{
  message_die(GENERAL_MESSAGE, 'Unable to find extension.inc, terminating. Please move this file into your main/"root" phpbb directory and try again.');
}

include($phpbb_root_path . 'extension.inc');
include($phpbb_root_path . 'common.'.$phpEx);

//
// Start session management
//
$userdata = session_pagestart($user_ip, PAGE_INDEX);
init_userprefs($userdata);
//
// End session management
//

/*if( !$userdata['session_logged_in'] )
{
redirect(append_sid($phpbb_root_path . "contentms.$phpEx?page=$page", true));
} */
$page=$_GET[page];
$page_title = $page;
include($phpbb_root_path . 'directory/page_header.'.$phpEx);
//~Top****************************************************************************************
//********************************************************************************************
//********************************************************************************************
//Head****************************************************************************************
print<<<DELIM
<center><H2><b>$page</b></H2></center><p>

DELIM;
//~Head***************************************************************************************
//Body****************************************************************************************
print "<h3>";
$sql = "SELECT * FROM `table` WHERE `fieldtitle` = CONVERT(_utf8 '$page' USING latin1) COLLATE latin1_swedish_ci";
if($result = $db->sql_query($sql))
{
while($forumsrow = $db->sql_fetchrow($forums))
{
$content = $forumsrow['Text'];
}
}
else
{
message_die(GENERAL_ERROR, "Couldn't obtain user/online forums information.", "", __LINE__, __FILE__, $sql);
};
//print $content;
if ($content){
print $content; 

}else{
print '<head><META HTTP-EQUIV="Refresh" CONTENT="1; url=index.php"></head>There was an error in the content of this page.  Please try again later.';
};
print"</h3>";
DELIM;
//~Body***************************************************************************************
//Bottom**************************************************************************************
include($phpbb_root_path . 'directory/page_tail.'.$phpEx);
//~Bottom*************************************************************************************
?>
[/code]

Regarding the flash--a REAL turn off for me too.  ESPECIALLY when you add sound.  When I start a page and it automatically starts playing audio, I close the page and go ELSEWHERE.  I don't even get a chance to see if the site has anything of interest to me.

If you want to put the OPTION to play sound, then so be it.  SOME people might like it--if that's your target audience, then go for it.  But [I'm] on of the people that you'll drive away.

And as far as using flash for animation that's ok--but if I have to wait for the animation to finish loading before I see the content, I'm probably gone as well.  On some of the sites I've been too, the first page is NOTHING but a flash animation followed by loading the actual content--GOOD GRIEF!  At least SOME of those have a "Skip Intro" link.  If they don't G'Bye!

Either show me the content [b]or[/b] show me how good at developing flash you've become--but don't try to do both. 

UNLESS of course I've specifically been told that this site has what I'm looking for.  If a friend sent me there, I'd probably wait.

I dont have my speakers on so I am missing the audio, but why is the header 'breathing'?  It also pixalates like crazy too.

If its a CMS, where is the content part of it? I see a front page into a Forum...  And no explaination as to what the site is about.. I'm all confused :(

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.