Adding an "@domain.com" symbol automatically.

dan182skater

Hello everyone, how do I add into my SQL database an "@" symbol after someone types in the first part of their email address? What I mean is I have a blank text box followed by "@berkeley.edu and I want people to only type in the first part of their Berkeley email address. Basically, only people that have a Berkeley email addresses can sign up on my site. So there are two basic functions I need:

1. Verify that the guest who is signing up ONLY typed in letters, numbers, etc (ONLY things that would be in the first part of an email, before the "@")
2. Automatically insert into the form/database/whatever the @berkeley.edu for every email.

Any help is greatly appreciated. THANKS!

you can change it into a variable in the script by doing this:
[code]<?
$first_part = $_POST['first_part'];
$domain = "@berkeley.edu";
$email = $first_part . $domain;
?>
<?
echo "$email";
?>[/code]
the email variable would then be the first part of what they entered and the domain would be at the end coming out into the full email like that..

Thanks for your replies!!!! But where do I type in the code? I uploaded join.php to my site here:

http://www.blissfulhost.com/banners/join.zip

If anyone could download that file (which is a zip with one file, join.php) and tell me where (line number, etc) to put in the code, I will repay you someway, somehow. THANKS!

Also, it is a zip file just to make sure it doesn't load in the browser and so that you can download it to youre computer to open it with your php editor of choice.

THANKS!

-Daniel

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.