Trouble with array

steve m

Hi,

I'm in the process of writing a Stock report.  What I want to do is build a summary where it will display all the items and the quantity associated with that item. 
[code]
while($row = mysql_fetch_array($result_model)){
extract($row);
$revenue=($cst + $revenue);
$modelarray[] = $model_num;

}

$model_count = array_count_values($modelarray);

foreach ($model_count as $key => $value){

echo "<tr><td width=\"200\"><p class=\"result\">$key</p></td>";
echo "<td width=\"566\"><p class=\"result\">$value</p></td>";
}
[/code]

This works fine, but what I'm trying to do now, is while during the WHILE loop it is buliding an array for $model_num to get the quantity.  Is there a way during this that I can access the cost associated with those items so I can display the total for each item?

Sure,

The report would diplay somthing like this:

in the row from the database the model number below would have for example a cost of $7.50 per item.
Model Number            Quantity                  Total Cost
WT1200LE                  20                          I would like to have the $7.50 x Quantity (20)

The problem is  that I don't know how to get that cost from each row during the WHILE loop for each item.

Does this make sense?  Or did I make it more confusing?

ok, you didn't quite provide what I asked for, but that's ok, I'll make an assumption to help you.  I'm assuming from what you've said that a single row in your database will look like this:

[table]
[tr][td]Model Number[/td][td]Quantity[/td][td]Cost[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]WT1200LE[/td][td]20[/td][td]7.50[/td][/tr]
[/table]

Is that correct, I just want to establish what it looks like in your database, before I get my wellies on.

Regards
Huggie

[size=8pt][color=red][b]Edit:[/b][/color] I'm off to bed now, but this is easy to resolve, I'll pick it up in the morning :)[/size]

Sorry,  I knew I didn't explain it right.  The 20 is basically that there are 20 rows in the database that have the same model number. the example below is what I have to get that info and count how model numbers that are the same.

$modelarray[] = $model_num;

$model_count = array_count_values($modelarray);

adds up all of the model numbers that are the same to give the quantity (20 rows that have the same model number). So what I wanted to do is while the WHILE loop is going thru to collect the model numbers that are the same, I want to also be able to collect the cost for them in each row and be able to display that

For example each row for that model number has a cost of $7.50 and there are 20 rows that have the same model number.  I want to get that cost and just add it up.

Does this make more sense or did I just confuse you even more?

OK, MySQL can do all of that for you, change your sql to something like this...

[code]SELECT model_number, count(model_number) as quantity, sum(cost * quantity) as total_cost FROM parts GROUP BY model_number
[/code]

Obviously you'll need your column names and table name in here.

Regards
Huggie

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.