Messaging System

HDFilmMaker2112

Looking for the best way to set-up the db of a messaging system. Here's what I have so far (basically pulled from another forum), don't know if Table1 is even really necessary:

Table1:

id

user_message_id

recepient_id

recepient_read

Table2:

user_message_id

sender_id

sender_read

subject

created_at

updated_at

Basically it needs to function where, someone submits a message to the admin or moderator, the admin/moderators can review and reply, and then the user can submit another reply, and keeps going indefinitely. I want each reply to show up almost like a forum thread.

How would I chain the reply messages to the original messages?

But say I have the following:

Situation 1:

User 2 submits a message -> admin 1 sees it and replies to user 2 -> user 2 replies to the message from admin 1 -> moderator 3 sees the message from user 2 and replies.

Situation 2:

user 4 submits a message -> moderator 5 sees it and replies to user 4 -> user 4 replies to the message from moderator 5 -> admin 1 sees reply from user 4 and moderator 5, and replies to user 4 about the topic and messages moderator 5 to let them know something they told user 4 was incorrect.

How would all of that be chained together with a simple SELECT statement?

I would need to select say message id numbers in situation 1:

and then loop them, to display them.

And then in situation 2 message id numbers:

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.