Need a FileZilla expert

doubledee

I have a virtual server and have been using FileZilla to secure FTP - think that's what I do - files up to my server.

Problem is my laptop HDD is dying and so I have to build a new machine/HDD.

I know some tech at GoDaddy did me a favor making it so I could secure FTP files up to my server.

My fear is that when I re-install FileZilla on my new HDD that I'll lose whatever he did so I can upload things securely.

I wanna think whatever he did was on my server, but who knows?!

Any wisdom here?

Debbie

Godaddy didn't edit your HDD, they edited your server... which is what they do.

the only applicable difference between FTP and SFTP is the port number used to connect... and the "S"

So whatever they did to allow me to use secure FTP was done on the server?

And all I have to do is install a new .dmg on my new HDD and use the same settings I had before?

Debbie

Not too sure what a .dmg is, but all you need is Filezilla and your credentials (username, password).. only difference is to select secure FTP from the list of connection types.

.dmg is the file you click on to install apps on a Mac.

Okay, so I did screenshots of my FilZilla settings including the ports and username, so it sounds like I am good?

I know this is really VAGUE, but do you suppose the tech at HoDaddy would have had to configure on my Virtual Linux Server so that I could use Secure FTP?  (I know nothing about Server Adminstration or Linux?!)  :o

Debbie

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.