Medical Jobs Site

defeated

Hi,

I'd be really grateful if I could get some feedback on a redesign of our medical jobs website.

This is its third incarnation.  There is still quite a bit to be done as far as we are concerned, but it would be great to have some feedback on how we are doing so far and get some ideas for what we could do to make it more user friendly too.

Cheers.

Ian

Okay, remember your target is people that are being recruited for the medical industry, not people like me here in the US. But with that said, it looks great, I also think there is to much movement. The scroll on the right as well as the main div. I'd have the right div normal text for testimonials and a link at the end of each testimonial or a link at the bottom of the div with "more ...".

Just a thought, anyway I think it looks great, have you tested the format with people in the industry?

Also test it with different browsers, when I tried ie7 everything was thrown out of wack starting at http://www.jackiebrownmedical.ie/advice/resources.php?url=advice and http://www.jackiebrownmedical.ie/cv-upload.htm

I agree on the movement thing, but I've been overruled.  Didn't test in ie7... have just had a look using browsershots.  Ouch.  Looks like there's two problems, one with the hot jobs section and another with ie7 clearly not recognising display:table; in the main section.

That's 200 visitors a month getting short changed.  Grrrrr.

Thanks Floridaflatlander. 

It looks pretty good, but there are some things that catch my eye. First, the movement, as people have mentioned. A little movement is fine (and actually that main scroll bar looks great) but the site crosses the line of a little too much. I would change the testimonials section to only scroll when they mouse over it (or put a down arrow thay they can click or hover over to get the downward movement). Also the red heart line is kind of.. meh. I think you should just make it static there. And the hot jobs box, it moves way too fast first of all, and along with the rest of the movement on the page kind of makes the whole page somewhat jarring. Medical professionals generally aren't the most tech savvy people, so simplicity rather than complication would be your friend here I think.

The navigation is also a little off. Its off center from the rest of the content on the page, and it gives it a strange look, as if it were just kind of put there without care or notice.

As a final note, the connect with us section just seems weird. At first glance its hard to see what it is exactly, since half of the button is off the screen. And the movement is also a little jaring. Perhaps instead of its current position you could place the buttons a little lower, and instead of the downward motion, you could have a small shaking animation if you absolutely must have movement. Personally, I would prefer a subtle hover change rather than full on motion.

Overall though, you should be happy with the design, as it looks quite professional.

I love the content slider in the middle is that nivo slider?

I would get rid of the red line gif on the top of the page, and the scrolling testimonials, just have that static.

Also the Button for upload CV does not look as professional as the rest of the site, I would consider changing that.

Other than that, I think it looks pretty good.

Kyle

yourmusicmuse.com

Thank you all for the feedback.  The main slider is indeed nivoslider.  It seems that the general consensus is that there is too much movement even though there are differing opinions on what should and should not be moving.

Your feedback is in perfect time for my meeting later today.  Overall I'm delighted.  The feedback is much more positive than it was for the last version of the site.  It looks like we have gone from one extreme to the other.... the last one had no movement at all.

Does anybody else think the "connect with us..." bit is OTT?  We thought it was cute and different, but it's hard to be objective when you are in the middle of creating it!

I like the idea of only moving the testimonials on a hover, but the problem is a lot of them are very long so they won't fit to a standard box size at all.  Similarly, with the main slider, we were finding that people were never reading a lot of the information on the page because it was far too long.  The slider let us highlight more of the page content.  That said, the whole page will be rewritten soon, we just didn't want to change too much too fast and risk dropping in Google.  The layout change went fine though with no drop.

The heartbeat will definitely be staying since it was specifically requested.

Thanks for everything so far.  Looking forward to hearing more feedback!

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.