MAIL()

gple

i installed php, apache and mysql on my local windows machine and I want to use the mail function without installing a mail server. what can i do? i constantly read that i can SMTP into my webhost mail account like I do from outlook but I can never get it right, i get unauthenticated messages in my error log, any suggestions.

Edit: Basically says the same as what thorpe posted above ^^^

In order to use your web host's mail server with a remote php script, you will need to use SMTP Authentication. The php mail() function does not support SMTP Authentication (it is basically an unauthenticated email client without any support for supplying the mail box's username/password.)

To use SMTP Authentication, you need to exchange SMTP commends directly with the mail server. Fortunately, there are several php mailer classes that do this for you. Two of the most popular are - php mailer http://phpmailer.worxware.com/index.php?pg=phpmailer and swift mailer - http://swiftmailer.org/

i tried copying some code offline just to test

<?php

require("C:\php\includes\class.phpmailer.php");

$mail = new PHPMailer();$mail = new PHPMailer();

$mail->IsSMTP();

$mail->Host = "smtp.gmail.com";

$mail->SMTPAuth = true;

$mail->Username = 'xxxxxx';

$mail->Password = 'xxxxxx';

$mail->AddAddress("xxxxxxx@gmail.com");

$mail->Subject = "Test 1";

$mail->Body = "Test 1 of PHPMailer.";

if(!$mail->Send())

{

echo "Error sending: " . $mail->ErrorInfo;;

}

else

{

echo "Letter is sent";

}

?>

and getting an error

fputs(): supplied argument is not a valid stream resource in C:\\php\\includes\\class.smtp.php on line 212

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.