Would like some critique on some tutorials I've written

mikesta707

Hello everyone. I have a blog at http://www.blackscorner.me that covers are few different programming/geek related topics. One of which is tutorials (mostly PHP tutorials at the moment). I would really appreciate if someone could read a tutorial or two and give me some feed back on a few things. These are:

• Readability: Is the tutorial easy to read
  • Sense: Does what I wrote make sense?
  • Correctness: Are  there any factual errors
  • Writing style: Is it enjoyable reading the tutorial? Does it explain things well? How can I improve this?

any other suggestions or critiques are great also! You can leave a post here or a comment on my blog if you wish to give me some feedback.

You can start at this tutorial specifically if you don't want to search for one: http://blackscorner.me/2011/07/28/php-arrays/

Or you can view this page, which has a list of most of my tutorials on PHP: http://blackscorner.me/tag/php/

Thanks in advance to everyone who helps me out.

Also, if you would like, you can read any different topic, and give me feedback. I would especially appreciate some feedback on the opinion pieces I have.

First note, finding the tutorials. It took me a good while to locate the tutorials. I had no idea that 'Category' was referring to the navigation of the site :shrug:

I did find them though and I read through this one as it is a topic I am currently getting my head round properly:

http://blackscorner.me/2011/11/13/doing-object-oriented-programming-right/

It was very easy to read, for me, and I enjoyed the many comparisons to real life things as it is my preferred learning style. I found it good that there were headings to structure the tutorial too. My only gripe is that there were no examples. I was hoping that there would be some examples, no matter how basic, to show me what you were talking about.

Other than that, good work and I like your writing style.

Thank you very much for the feed back. I originally intended that post to be language independent so I didn't put an example. I will put a pseudo code example now though, as I agree it would be a good idea.

Another question if you don't mind, what topic would be a good idea to cover? Did you check out any other tutorials? If you are up to it, would you be willing to read one if the opinion pieces I wrote? The latest one I wrote is blackscorner.me/2011/11/20/spotify-dropped-from-over-200-labels/. Let me know what you think if you can!

And again, many thanks for.the feedback.

Can't edit my post above, so I'll have to double post sorry.

Joe92, I have added some examples (in very PHP-like pseudo code more or less) to the post. Let me know what you think of these new examples, and if they are relevant/make sense.

Thanks in advance

Ah Unity. Thats a good idea. I have been meaning to eventually write one for Unity, but I have been putting it off until I feel I have a good grasp of it. I think I would be able to write a simple one though. I will probably do a bit of research and get on it later today. Thank you very much for the suggestion!

You forgot to end the code tag after the encapsulation section, but aside from that the examples definitely help, cheers

I read two pieces of yours. First I read your review about Google+, as I didn't notice you provided a link to an opinion piece ::). It's a few month old but again, I quite liked it... apart from the fact you posted it a tad early. If you'd waited till you'd had the chance to test the Hangouts yourself you would have been able to review all aspects of them, like video lag for instance, as well as just the concept.

Next I read the article you posted about spotify. It was good though I don't think it has been properly proof read, there were some grammatical errors and a few spelling mistakes too (the paragraph beginning 'Spokesman' mainly). There was also an obvious argument you missed out, that being that users of Spotify are physically bound to listen to music at their computers unless they purchase the music from a store such as iTunes or walk into a shop to buy the music. Hence, the money still gets spent as the digital age includes the mobile age; everyone wants to listen to music on the go on their mp3 players (on trains, planes, even walking) so will still need to buy tracks to fulfill this need.

Aside from the missing argument and the grammatical errors, it was a good read and you structured it well. Keeping both sides of the argument seperate and avoiding unnecessary tangents is something any reader appreciates, especially me :D Nice work

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.