Which one is best framework

killervastu

Personally I don't really like either one because they are both pretty bloated. CodeIgniter is around 3mb when extracted and Zend is even larger than that. CI has fairly decent documentation but it has some real drawbacks that are not documented. Zend has odd documentation and, from my experience, the developer community has a lot of condescending elitists.

This is the main reason I wrote my own small framework. In total it is around 300kb, has it's own "active record" of sorts, built in simple cms, authentication and granular permissions systems. I haven't benchmarked it yet but I would bet that it out performs both CI and Zend by a large margin.

• 2 weeks later...

They are not really comparable.  CI was first built back in PHP 4.0 days when PHP oop was pretty minimal.  ZF was first built on php 5.0 which had a lot of improvements to the oop, and it has been adapted continuously since then, including a major rewrite this year to take advantage of PHP's newest oop features.  ZF is a giant library that has classes to do all sorts of things, and to also be a swiss army knife so you can integrate any 3rd party library you want.  I think you also need to consider Symfony framework.

There is no doubt that CI is easier to pickup, and the same could be said of CakePHP.  They all have an MVC which is the main reason people go looking for a framework as the basis for their application.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.