Wedding Flowers

defeated

:) Thanks Sunfighter.  I guess what I really want to know from people is, if it was their wedding and they were looking for wedding flowers, what, if anything would you be looking for on the site that isn't there.  Is there anything you would automatically look for that you cant find that may lead you to go to another site without getting in contact. 

Design is one thing on a site, but it's very easy to overlook things that would add to or take away from usability.

I have to disagree with sunfighter.  To me, it's way too busy.  The graphical element that comprises the footer makes it hard to determine if there's more content below it.  You have a rather tall header, followed by a surprisingly spartan navigation menu, followed by a social media menu.  The content is buried (literally, given the footer) under all of this.  To make matters worse, the turquoise background and gray text is somewhat hard to read.  The site completely fails the "at-a-glance" test.

What's really bad is that each page obviously, and distractingly, displays all of the images used for the header animations before hiding them.  Each page takes about two seconds to 'collapse' into the right shape.

My suggestions:

1. Don't absolutely position the footer.

2. Move the social media menu - either consolidate it with the header, or merge it with the other social media box.

3. Improve the header.  Two white boxes with rotating still images looks amateurish.  You'd be better off with a bigger image cycle somewhere in your content area.

4. If you need to hard code the cycle images, give them display: none.

5. Use a color for your font that has better contrast.

Thanks KevinM1,

I've added the display:none;  Can't believe I didn't think of that as a solution!  The flowers need to stay in the header so that there is a graphical display of their work no matter what page you land on.  Same goes for the social media.  The right col social media box will not be on all pages as it is now.  It may not be on any in fact.

I will go back to them about the fonts and colours (contrast).  The footer is absolutely positioned on everything but the ipad and iphone because it doesn't work properly there.

The footer looking like that was a stipulation.  The only other alternative would be to create a scrolling mid section that doesn't reach the footer, but I'm not convinced by that as an approach, particularly because I would have to cater for different screen resolutions.  My little netbook only has 600px depth.

The header is a LOT bigger than I originally designed it.  This was because the client wanted the logo to be much bigger than I had it.

Thanks.  That's lots of food for thought.   

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.