NetBeans: Expand Tabs to Spaces

• 4 weeks later...

No, you should expand tabs to spaces.

But doing that is such a pain to navigate my code because when I want to go backwards on a line it is cycling through spaces instead of skipping from tab to tab.

(I'm just working by myself on my laptop, so its' not like I have to worry about other people or changing IDE's anytime soon.)

Debbie

I am a netbeans user.  I always use tab and I'm comfortable with it.  No f*** ups so far

Obviously, if you are the only one developing. Try opening that in notepad++ or another IDE.

But doing that is such a pain to navigate my code because when I want to go backwards on a line it is cycling through spaces instead of skipping from tab to tab.

Behold the almighty SHIFT + TAB. Which tabs in the other direction. Maybe take a day off to learn the tools you are working with? Pretty hard to punch a nail if you hold the hammer backwards.

I am a netbeans user.  I always use tab and I'm comfortable with it.  No f*** ups so far

Obviously, if you are the only one developing. Try opening that in notepad++ or another IDE.

I just opened up one of my .php files in TextEdit, TextWrangler, and OpenOffice and there were no problems...

Behold the almighty SHIFT + TAB. Which tabs in the other direction. Maybe take a day off to learn the tools you are working with? Pretty hard to punch a nail if you hold the hammer backwards.

I SAID that I do not care for "Expand Tab to Spaces" because you cannot hop from Tab to Tab with the arrow keys (if NetBeans changes everything to Spaces).

How is "learning" what SHIFT + TAB does going to help me navigate from the 24th position back to, say, the 6th position when the entire line is now SPACES?

The whole point is that NetBeans is changing from Tabs to Spaces.

(If you're going to insult me, at least know what you are talking about.  It makes you look like a fool...)

I haven't seen any problems in different apps so far, and it seems much easier to navigate and to change the indents on my code - if need be.

Insults aside, maybe others out there have other experiences and can share something *constructive*...

Debbie

Insults aside, maybe others out there have other experiences and can share something *constructive*...

Have a look at the coding standards of any decent open source php project. They all say to use spaces instead of tabs for the same reasons I stated in my first reply.

Have a look at the coding standards of any decent open source php project. They all say to use spaces instead of tabs for the same reasons I stated in my first reply.

You don't find it a pain to navigate your code with all of those spaces?

I like to tab a lot, for example...

/* By floating the Middle Column we avoid the IE6 3 pixel jog and also keep
	columns in normal source order (i.e. Left, Middle, Right), but we need
	to use a negative margin offset to make it all fit. */
#pageMidCol_3{
position: relative;			/* Create "Positioned" Containing-Block. */
z-index: 2;				/* Raise above Colored Columns. (If applicable) */

And it is easier to navigate between the left margin and the code and the comments and what-not if you can just use the left/right arrow to skip from tab to tab.  (The whole reason tabs were created?!)

I hate having to lift my hands to use the mouse.touchpad when I can just use shortcuts on my keyboard...

Debbie

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.