1 | 0 | CLUB ADMINISTRATION

2 | 0 | MEMBERSHIP

3 | 1 | Attendance & Development

4 | 2 | Classification

5 | 1 | Administration Systems

6 | 1 | Communications

7 | 0 | GENERAL FEEDBACK

Currently I am able to run the following command

$result = @mysql_query('SELECT userid, catid, id, parent, name FROM jos_cp_fb_moderation INNER JOIN jos_cp_fb_categories ON catid = jos_cp_fb_categories.id WHERE jos_cp_fb_moderation.userid = 617 ');

And produce the following view

Id | Name | parent | Name

3 | Attendance & Development | 1 |

4 | Classification | 2 |

How do I get the Name also filled for the parent? Basically I am after the following:

Id | Name | parent | Name

3 | Attendance & Development | 1 | CLUB ADMINISTRATION

4 | Classification | 2 | MEMBERSHIP

Thanks,

Adri

Hi Dan,

And thank you for your reply.

Unfortunately you need to be quite gentle with me as my SQL skills are limited, though I am fast learner. I sort of understand what you have in mind but I do not seem to be able to make it work.

What I have tried so far is the following (please note that this is my PHP code)

$result = @mysql_query('SELECT userid, catid, id, parent, name FROM jos_cp_fb_moderation INNER JOIN jos_cp_fb_categories ON catid = jos_cp_fb_categories.id WHERE jos_cp_fb_moderation.userid = 617');
$result1 = @mysql_query('SELECT userid, catid, id, parent, name FROM jos_cp_fb_moderation INNER JOIN jos_cp_fb_categories ON catid = jos_cp_fb_categories.parent WHERE jos_cp_fb_moderation.userid = 617');
[/Code]

Rather that running an Alias I thought I would run a separate Query Array $result1 and then I would try to interrogate both. But I am a bit lost in how to cycle through both arrays. The below code is not working.

[Code]
$row1 = mysql_fetch_array($result1);
while ($row = mysql_fetch_array($result)) { 
echo '<table style="text-align: left; width: 100%;" border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0">
    <tbody>
    <td style="font-size: 14px; font-family: Tahoma; width: 5%;">' . $row['catid'] . '</td>
    <td style="font-size: 14px; font-family: Tahoma; width: 25%;">' . $row['name'] . '</td>
    <td style="font-size: 14px; font-family: Tahoma; width: 5%;">' . $row['parent'] . '</td>
      <td style="font-size: 14px; font-family: Tahoma; width: 25%;">' . $row1['name'] . '</td>
    <td style="font-size: 14px; font-family: Tahoma; width: 40%;"></td>
    </tbody>
</table>';
}
[/Code]

I know that this isn't the approach you suggested but your comment made me think of trying this.

As this hasn't worked, I was wondering if you can be a bit more specific in detailing how exactly I should make the additional JOIN with the ALIAS. I know that you have given me the code as well but unfortunately I am not quite able to work out how to apply it to my PHP/SQL scenario. Basically what I am asking is

1) Do I need to run a separate $resultx SELECT ?

or

2) Can I combine both SELECT/JOINS in the same $result  ?

Thanks heaps for all your help,

Adri

awjudd, I am sure you are correct but unfortunately my inexperience did not allow me to understand what Dan had suggested. Furthermore, if you read my second post, I asked Dan for further explanations but I never heard back. Don't get me wrong, I am not blaming Dan for not spending the time to further explain a basic SQL concept that most developers would have understood, but as I said, I am new to SQL and I have just started learning it.

If however you care to explain it further I would be very happy to hear from you and very keen to improve my SQL skills.

Thanks again,

Adri

Missed your reply:

SELECT 
  jos_cp_fb_moderation.userid AS userId,
  child.id AS categoryId,
  child.name AS categoryName,
  parent.id AS parentCategoryId,
  parent.name AS parentCategoryName
FROM
  jos_cp_fb_moderation
  JOIN jos_cp_fb_categories AS child ON jos_cp_db_moderation.catid = child.id
  LEFT JOIN jos_cp_fb_categories AS parent ON child.parent = parent.id
WHERE 
  jos_cp_fb_moderation.userid = 617

-Dan

Dan thank you heaps!  :D

I will test sometime this week and report back my findings, but I know get the idea of what you meant by additional JOIN and how the SQL command is structured!

I really appreciate your help and teachings!

Thanks heaps,

Adri

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.