PHP forum?

mynamesleo

Hi again guys!

I am looking for a forum and figured it would be best to ask here.

I would prefer the forum to be very standard and not flashy or anything, just very basic.
Also I need to be able to back up my forum members id's and passwords, so if anything happens
they won't need to sign back up, I can just replace the "users" file, or what not.

Thanks in advance

[quote author=mynamesleo link=topic=112797.msg457931#msg457931 date=1161870473]
I am looking for a forum and figured it would be best to ask here.

I would prefer the forum to be very standard and not flashy or anything, just very basic.
Also I need to be able to back up my forum members id's and passwords, so if anything happens
they won't need to sign back up, I can just replace the "users" file, or what not.
[/quote]

You'll need to define what you mean by [i]standard and not flashy[/i] and [i]basic[/i]. In my mind, they're not the same thing when it comes to PHP forums. [url=http://www.phpbb.com/]phpBB[/url], while basic, would definitely [b]not[/b] be my forum of choice. Although, since they released their version 2.0.9 in June, it seems to be a bit better.

I recommend [url=http://www.simplemachines.org/]SMF forum[/url], which is what we use here. I use it on a couple different sites I have as well, and it's great.

Another choice that is a really good consideration is [url=http://www.getvanilla.com/]Lussumo's Vanilla[/url]. This forum is a great one to try, and it seems more basic than some, but it also has a different approach to the way forums are handled which is very intuitive.

These are just some of the free ones out there for you, but I hope it helps!

[quote author=mynamesleo link=topic=112797.msg458103#msg458103 date=1161883290]
Thanks  ;)

And the winner is... *drum roll*

SMF forum
[/quote]

Good choice. Just make sure that you keep up with your admin panel and update when the new revisions are released. It doesn't happen very often, but when it does, it's usually something you definitely want to update. I believe the current version is 1.1 RC3.

*duh* -- it says the current version right at the bottom of this page :P

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.