How to set the LIMIT Dynamically

jagularen

Hi,

This line of code works just fine for me:

$sql_quest = 'SELECT id, username FROM user ORDER BY id ASC LIMIT 0, 30';

I want to be able to set the integer values dynamically and I thought something like this would work:

$sql_quest = 'SELECT id, username FROM user ORDER BY id ASC LIMIT' . $my_int_value . ',' . $my_int_value + 30;

But it doesn't... Any ideas?

Your original issue is that you need some white-space after the LIMIT keyword.

The additional single-quote that Spring added on the end resulted in an odd number of quotes, which would be a php syntax error.

Also, the second number in the LIMIT clause is not the ending row number, it is the number of rows, so, it will remain 30 (unless you want to change the number of rows.) Only the the first number, the starting row number, changes.

It's usually less error prone to use overall double-quotes when building a query. You can then put php variables directly inside the query string -

$sql_quest = "SELECT id, username FROM user ORDER BY id ASC LIMIT $my_int_value,30";

Thanks guys!

I forgot the brackets at the end...

$sql_quest = 'SELECT id, username FROM user ORDER BY id ASC LIMIT' . $my_int_value . ',' . ($my_int_value + 30);

I'm new here and when I solved this yesterday I was trying to reply to my own last reply to say that I solved it or mark the post as solved.

How can  I do this?

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.