Object Overhead

proggR

I'm curious if anyone has information on how much overhead there is with creating an object in PHP. I've tried finding some benchmarks but haven't really been able to find anything solid to use for reference. Also, when dealing with objects what optimizations can be done to improve performance.

I ask because my project I've been working on is entirely OO. Everything, including views, are objects (though their state and behaviour is really just the model they're representing and a show() function that has the HTML used to display the model). This makes development very easy and clean but I'm trying to figure out how much of a difference I can expect in production and in what ways I can limit any negative side effects. What things could be cached, and what things can't? For example, is it possible to cache the class definition without caching instances of that definition (since they'd be different from page view to pageview)? Would that be helpful.

Any pointers would be great. I haven't had a lot of time with performance tweaking so I'm not sure of any known pitfalls. I know objects and function calls use a bit more overhead but I've never found out how much more.

Thanks in advance. 

Generally the time saved by having a consistent easy to manage code on the programmer's end is far more than the overhead will ever accumulate to. Unless you're really strapped for resources (in which case your problem is most likely nothing on the PHP side) then you should use OOP. I don't recommend making everything OOP because that would just be too demanding, but it's definitely something you should use for error checking and database interactions.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.