Just out of curiosity... Facebook.

I often sit back and wonder.  Communities like PHP Freaks have been around long before the inception of Facebook.  We were teaching people how to code back when PHP was breaking the ground.  When Zuck was sitting in his dorm room cranking away at code (hahah, LOL) do you think he and his homies were using PHP Freaks under some unknown names to learn how to build their site?  I find it hard not to believe that in some capacity, sites like PHPFreaks helped build the main platforms that the internet is hobbling over these days.

Funny thing is, when I jokingly submitted my online job application last year to Facebook for an Applications Operations Engineer - all I put in the box was "Hi, I'm phpfreak, founder of PHPFreaks.com"  in their online form.  I got a call the very next day and that initiated a 5 phase interview - even without having a formal resume.  Jokingly I breezed through the first 4 interviews, then got serious and screwed it up somehow.  I'm glad I'm not there now, but at some point, it was almost a reality.

They must know who we are and what we do.

Any thoughts?

I tend to agree.  I see the same types of questions/problems/people at my job as I do here, so it's no stretch of the imagination to assume that some % of our population is more than random hobbyists.  Also, why else would we constantly get "please delete my thread/account, I don't want my boss/client to ever find this" threads?

I really hate those "please delete" requests.  If you came here for help, you should be sensible enough to protect your company's information if you are the guy on the job.  50% of programming is writing code, 50% of it is hitting google to try and remember or find new stuff.  At least that's how it is for me.  I learned how to ask questions and use common sense thanks to forums like these!

The "please delete" nonsense is something I don't really understand. If I was the boss and discovered that one of my employees had gotten help in an online forum, I'd be thankful that I didn't have to hire a consultant for that particular task. I've always thought it was more important to be able to effectively find an answer than to (pretend to) know all of the answers. It's called being 'resourceful'.

But anyhow, on the subject at hand, I also believe that there just have to be major sites out there that got started with help from PHPF or a similar site.

• 9 months later...

Haha, funny store. Sorry for the necro awakening of this thread, but I had to reply!

Why are not you happy you didn't get the job @ facebook? Hell if they saw what you said on the resume and already put in a phase 5 interview and you were ready to keep going, you should have just kept going, you'd probably would have gotten it. (And you still could have owned phpfreaks in the background as a hobby!) ( just my opinion ). But I do love these forums and i know they're other forums out there that offer php help, but most are paid sites and most offer a reply in like 2days, which is horrible..

Here @ PHPFreaks, I get help on replies in less than 10-20 minutes, lol. It's actually pretty cool. And I bet you some people who started crazy sites/ideas might have came here for help in the past.

I remember back in the day when I was like 13 or 14, I was browsing the phpbb forums and the owner of GAIAOnline now was making support topics on the phpbb forums on a "Avatar" mod..... Well guess what, look at gaiaonline now? Pretty crazy how he was seen asking help on the phpbb forums, If you care enough, I think I might have the link somewhere, it's pretty nostalgia. So with that being said, I am pretty sure someone was here that started a crazy idea/website/forum.

and I am sure in the future you will get a PM from me, or someone else about a beautiful success story that originated from getting help from PHPFreaks. And that right there would make the owners of this board feel great IMO.

Cheers :) You never know!

• 2 weeks later...

This site is the bomb! I see no reason why someone will get help and won't be proud of the helper? It's crazy if you ask me! You coulda just go for it bro! I wish I have the opportunity to sing a song for you.

Thank you very very much for conceiving this site!

ps: I'm always proud to say I'm a member of phpfreaks. I'm not afraid or ashame to be helped

Thanks a zillion dozen times

Thanks Derwert, the kinks are still being worked out of the new software.

As for facebook: DevShed tracked down the original authors of some serious stuff (like Symfony) in our history. I know I personally wrote half of biblegateway.org through devshed posts.

I didn't realize what I was doing until it was nearly done. The site functions really well though! I use it to disprove a lot of religious based arguments. You should see the number of things listed as abominations in various versions of the bible. Like having sex with your aunt. Or Eagles. Or diver's weights.

All clothes of mixed fibers are a sin. The act of weaving fabrics from more than one source is a sin.

Things that are an "abomination" according to the KJV Bible:

"all that have not fins and scales in the seas, and in the rivers, of all that move in the waters, and of any living thing which is in the waters"

"Whatsoever hath no fins nor scales in the waters"

"the eagle, and the ossifrage, and the ospray, And the vulture, and the kite after his kind; Every raven after his kind; And the owl, and the night hawk, and the cuckow, and the hawk after his kind, And the little owl, and the cormorant, and the great owl, And the swan, and the pelican, and the gier eagle, And the stork, the heron after her kind, and the lapwing, and the bat."

"All fowls that creep, going upon all four"

"all other flying creeping things, which have four feet"

"The carcases of every beast which divideth the hoof, and is not clovenfooted, nor cheweth the cud"

"whatsoever goeth upon his paws, among all manner of beasts that go on all four"

"the weasel, and the mouse, and the tortoise after his kind, And the ferret, and the chameleon, and the lizard, and the snail, and the mole"

"[lying] with mankind, as with womankind"

"[uncovering] the nakedness of thy father, or the nakedness of thy mother"

"[uncovering] The nakedness of thy father's wife"

"[uncovering] The nakedness of thy sister, the daughter of thy father, or daughter of thy mother"

"[uncovering] The nakedness of thy son's daughter, or of thy daughter's daughter"

"[uncovering] the nakedness of thy father's sister"

"[uncovering] the nakedness of thy mother's sister"

//etc etc through all relatives, including aunts and uncles, nieces and nephews, sister in laws and brother in laws, as well as the daughters, mothers, and children of women you're already slept with

"any bullock, or sheep, wherein is blemish, or any evilfavouredness"

"any one that maketh his son or his daughter to pass through the fire, or that useth divination, or an observer of times, or an enchanter, or a witch, Or a charmer, or a consulter with familiar spirits, or a wizard, or a necromancer"

"The woman shall not wear that which pertaineth unto a man, neither shall a man put on a woman's garment: for all that do so are abomination"

"Her former husband, which sent her away, may not take her again to be his wife, after that she is defiled; for that is abomination"

"Thou shalt not have in thy bag divers weights, a great and a small. Thou shalt not have in thine house divers measures, a great and a small. But thou shalt have a perfect and just weight, a perfect and just measure shalt thou have [otherwise, abomination]" (Referring to a merchant's scales, I believe)

"A proud look, a lying tongue, and hands that shed innocent blood, An heart that deviseth wicked imaginations, feet that be swift in running to mischief, A false witness that speaketh lies, and he that soweth discord among brethren"

"A false balance" (apparently referring to scales again)

"They that are of a froward heart"

"Lying lips"

"The sacrifice of the wicked"

"The way of the wicked" (nice catch-all)

"The thoughts of the wicked"

"Every one that is proud in heart"

"He that justifieth the wicked, and he that condemneth the just"

"Divers weights, and divers measures"

"the scorner"

"He that turneth away his ear from hearing the law, even his prayer shall be abomination."

See, that's what I thought, so a while back I went and had some underwear made out of 100% wool, but they were really bothersome with all the itching and falling down from the lack of a stretchy waist band thingy. Then when I washed them after wearing them for a couple weeks, they came out of the dryer about the size of a postage stamp. And not one of those giant commemorative ones, either.

And how many of them are from the new testament?

I didn't write down which half of the bible they came from. The whole thing applies though, from what Congress tells me. Unless of course it's a part that doesn't apply. We all know which bits those are.

The food restrictions, to my understanding, were partially lifted by the new testament and then permanently lifted in the 50s by the Vatican for no reason. The rest were untouched and are still "law."

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.