Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

creeker

Getting last record -- Newbie question

I'm trying to make a query to get the last record from a DB. When I use "LAST_INSERT_ID()" I always get 0 as the query.

Is there something wrong with this function or do I have to use it combined with an INSERT or UPDATE?

Does this make sense?

You need to call LAST_INSERT_ID() immediately after an insert query to retrive the value of the auto_increment column in the table. It it returns the last id generated for the current connection.

I you come back to the table with a new connection (new page) then you can get the last record by

SELECT * FROM tablename ORDER BY id DESC LIMIT 1

Ah ha. I thought it could be called later.

I came to the code you suggested. In an older topic someone said it didn't comform to ACID.
Do you know what that is and if it makes a difference?

Thanks.

Basically, don't rely on that latter method finding the last id generated in order to generate the next one yourself. Let the auto_increment do it, it's safer.

I'm not using it to auto increment. I'm calling in from a site to find the last added record.
So "SELECT * FROM tablename ORDER BY id DESC LIMIT 1" seems a good method since the ID is auto_incremented.
I guess another method would be using timestamps.

[quote author=creeker link=topic=112849.msg458528#msg458528 date=1161952187]
I'm not using it to auto increment. I'm calling in from a site to find the last added record.
So "SELECT * FROM tablename ORDER BY id DESC LIMIT 1" seems a good method since the ID is auto_incremented.
[/quote]
You mean someone else inserted the record, and you're trying to find the last one?  Date/time would be more preferable, IMHO.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.