Getting last record -- Newbie question

creeker

You need to call LAST_INSERT_ID() immediately after an insert query to retrive the value of the auto_increment column in the table. It it returns the last id generated for the current connection.

I you come back to the table with a new connection (new page) then you can get the last record by

SELECT * FROM tablename ORDER BY id DESC LIMIT 1

I'm not using it to auto increment. I'm calling in from a site to find the last added record.
So "SELECT * FROM tablename ORDER BY id DESC LIMIT 1" seems a good method since the ID is auto_incremented.
I guess another method would be using timestamps.

[quote author=creeker link=topic=112849.msg458528#msg458528 date=1161952187]
I'm not using it to auto increment. I'm calling in from a site to find the last added record.
So "SELECT * FROM tablename ORDER BY id DESC LIMIT 1" seems a good method since the ID is auto_incremented.
[/quote]
You mean someone else inserted the record, and you're trying to find the last one?  Date/time would be more preferable, IMHO.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.