regular expression issue

hamza

I need to get the content of this div.

but getting nothing

$str = "<div class='mainful'>this is testing of the string n thats it </div>";
$str = preg_quote($str, "/");
$result = preg_match_all("/^<div class=\/'mainful\/'>(.*?)<\/div>$/", $str , $matches_results);
if($result){
    print_r($matches_results); 
    exit;
} else {
     echo "no match ";
}

I changed what you used slightly but this will match both your class and the content of the div

preg_match_all("|<div class='(.*?)'>(.*?)</div>|",
    "<div class='mainful'>this is testing of the string n thats it </div>",
    $out, PREG_PATTERN_ORDER);
echo "<pre>";
print_r($out);

I need to get the content of this div.

but getting nothing

$str = "<div class='mainful'>this is testing of the string n thats it </div>";
$str = preg_quote($str, "/");
$result = preg_match_all("/^<div class=\/'mainful\/'>(.*?)<\/div>$/", $str , $matches_results);
if($result){
    print_r($matches_results); 
    exit;
} else {
     echo "no match ";
}

@Drongo_III

There's no need to pass the PREG_PATTERN_ORDER flag, it's the default. Though your pattern would match all DIVs with just a class attribute, so it's not really a practical solution.

@hamza

I think your problem is using ^ and $ at the start/end of the pattern. Together these require that the pattern is the *only* contents of the string. You can omit either or both to remove that restriction from one or both sides of the pattern.

Well you could change it so it matches the class as a literal and then it would only target that div.

Didn't know pattern_order was the default. I've always used it just for the sake of it. I've only used regular expressions for pretty basic stuff to be honest.

Thanks for the tip :)

@Drongo_III

There's no need to pass the PREG_PATTERN_ORDER flag, it's the default. Though your pattern would match all DIVs with just a class attribute, so it's not really a practical solution.

@hamza

I think your problem is using ^ and $ at the start/end of the pattern. Together these require that the pattern is the *only* contents of the string. You can omit either or both to remove that restriction from one or both sides of the pattern.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.