Something I don't get about nameservers...

Drongo_III

Hi guys

I wonder if someone can help me understand something.  I know a little about nameserves and dns but only enough to get by.

Here's the odd thing...

When I purchase a domain on 123-reg.co.uk and point it at my server using my nameservers I can still access the dns records (on the 123 reg control panel). I have to point the A record at 123 reg but besides that i can still set mx records etc from 123 reg. All good.

However, if i setup a domain on go daddy and point it using my name servers (at my server) it ceases to allow me to access any of the dns info. So i can't set the mx record etc. in go daddy and instead i have to edit a zone file on my own server to set these records.

So my question is why would the two services act so differently and is this simply down to the way they setup domains?

I would really like to understand this :(

123-reg is letting you edit their DNS information. Not yours. But if the nameservers actually do point to your stuff and not theirs, editing their information will do nothing... unless you switch the nameservers back to theirs.

GoDaddy simply doesn't let you edit the information that isn't being used. Perhaps as a disambiguation: you can't be confused why the settings aren't working if they don't let you change them in the first place.

Thanks Req!

That makes a lot more sense to me now.  :)

So if i wanted to point a client's domain to my server using my nameservers, but they already have mx records setup and working. What's the best way to ensure there's no disruption to their emails?

Should i simply setup the zone file on my server (mx records and all) before i point the name servers? Or is there no way to really avoid disruption?

123-reg is letting you edit their DNS information. Not yours. But if the nameservers actually do point to your stuff and not theirs, editing their information will do nothing... unless you switch the nameservers back to theirs.

GoDaddy simply doesn't let you edit the information that isn't being used. Perhaps as a disambiguation: you can't be confused why the settings aren't working if they don't let you change them in the first place.

Use the same records on yours and make the switch. Everybody using the old nameservers will get the same information as the people using the new nameservers. No disruption because there's overlap.

Problems happen when there's a gap, like taking down the old ones before everybody's using the new ones, or when changing mail servers. I'd wait at least a week between those kinds of changes.

Thank Req that all makes a LOT more sense now :)

Use the same records on yours and make the switch. Everybody using the old nameservers will get the same information as the people using the new nameservers. No disruption because there's overlap.

Problems happen when there's a gap, like taking down the old ones before everybody's using the new ones, or when changing mail servers. I'd wait at least a week between those kinds of changes.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.