About watermarks

Rommeo

I ll put watermark to the photos of my website and I have two options :

1-) I may put watermark while uploading the image. And watermark will be applied to the original image and can not remove it.

2-) I may put watermark while showing the image, the original image will not be affected and I ll keep it as it is in the folder, just while showing watermarked image will be created ( watermark.png will be applied by the function)

so according to your experiments, which one would you go with ?

for first one, I m thinking about a solution if I want to change the logo of the website, then some of the images will have an old logo.

for second one, I m wondering if the website will slow down, since it will create the same image again and again whenever you click the image..

Personally I would use gd and watermark the image on display, leaving the original uploaded image untouched.

http://www.roseindia.net/tutorial/php/phpgd/About-%20watermark.html

If you have many of them and constantly producing them with gd, you could cache the watermarked image

It all really depends if full size images are available for download or not, possibly for paying customers.

Keep the original image in a folder outside of webroot.

Copy the image, adding the watermark, to the public images directory.

You don't want to do image processing on the fly if you can avoid it. Since these changes are static and always the same, they should only be done once. At the same time, it may be valuable to keep the unchanged image.

Since disk space is insanely cheap these days, I suggest storing two copies of the image. One with, and one without the watermark. Only allow the one with the watermark to be viewed.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.